What's everyone using for hardware these days? Is everyone using laptops by now?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Howard, Sep 21, 2019.

1. In that case you are indeed out of luck and forced to buy more new hardware. Or use the laptop + external monitor as you described.

#21     Sep 25, 2019
  2. Crystal ball? I prefer to call it a backup scanner.

#22     Sep 25, 2019
  3. maxinger

maxinger

upload_2019-9-25_13-22-30.png

#23     Sep 25, 2019
  4. Howard

Howard

That's a lot of screenspace, @maxinger

Is that due to trading multiple markets or do you simply use a lot of charts for your chosen market?

I also day trade. One market only (ES). Current set up:

Main screen - Live charts/order entry

Second screen - Historical analysis (charts)

Laptop - Excel stuff

What I'd like to have:

1. Main screen - Live charts/order entry

2. Second screen - Additional live charts (faster charts, volume charts, etc.)

3. Third screen - Historical charts

4. Excel stuff

So, in actuality, I'd actually like 2 additional 24" screens. I don't think my current laptop would support that or I would at least be pushing it in terms of performance.

Actually, the "Excel stuff" is linked to my trading platform, so I might in fact be needing one computer for all this.

Hmm... :)

#24     Sep 25, 2019
  5. maxinger

maxinger

I started with one futures, one screen one computer.

Now I trade about 10 to 20 futures at any one time.
    for each futures, I have about 2 to 3 charts plus a ladder displayed.
    I also display trading platforms open order, working order, closed order windows.

I plan to add more futures from another Exchange and I will be running out of space soon.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    #25     Sep 25, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  6. Howard

Howard

While I like the idea of separate screens - I'm now seriously considering getting an ultrawide 40+ " screen which I'll be running off my laptop. This means I won't have to worry about pushing it in terms of performance as most people seem to think that while 3 monitors on a laptop can work, it's generally not a good idea. Also, I won't have to buy a docking and a new screen mount. I can also clean up clutter and have less cables.

In terms of cost, it will probably be a bit more expensive, but it might just be worth it.

I do like having separate screens better as of now as things does seem more separate. But it might just be a matter of habit I suppose.

Here's a guy using the 49" Dell:

#26     Sep 27, 2019
    themickey likes this.
  7. Howard

Howard

I've been doing a bit more research on this and am pretty much sold on getting a single 49" to use for my trading operations.

The Dell is simply too expensive, IMO, but it seems like Samsung have a happy medium:

Should I need more screen space in the future (not likely, but you'll never know), I can stack 2 screens on top of each other.

This means I won't have to worry about a docking station, excess cables or needing a workstation to fuel a multi-monitor set-up. Did I say that already? I suppose I did. :)

#27     Sep 28, 2019
  8. Bekim

Bekim

I wan this

#28     Sep 28, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  9. DevBru

DevBru

8 GB RAM is plenty for Rithmic and Multicharts, i run the same setup with 8GB RAM and i only use about 40%. To me it seems like your processor is the issue (my previous desktop had a processor with similar benchmarks and it caused my lag problems).

Open up your task manager while running all the programs (on a busy trading day) you are usually running when trading and see which one or which part is running close to 100%. Also note that Rithmic isn't made for running on multicores so it should stay below 25% on your 4 core processor, otherwise you will see issues.

#29     Sep 28, 2019
  10. Howard

Howard

Is that the 43" Dell?

It looks a bit tall to me. I think I'd prefer to have a lower and wider screen. Considering the 49" ultrawide now:
    [​IMG]

The 43" is on sale at my local hardware store, so I can get it for approximately 50 % of the cost of the 49", but I feel the 49" is better for my purposes. 2 x 27" could probably also work and is far cheaper, but still...

#30     Oct 5, 2019