What's better, systematic or discretionary?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sle, Dec 16, 2017.

1. #51     Dec 19, 2017
  2. d08

d08

I can't dunk a basketball, that means no-one can do it.

#52     Dec 19, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. If you can predcit vola,you`ll be kidnapped,man.Be careful!

#53     Dec 19, 2017
  4. d08

d08

Small statistical edge does not equal predicting anything.

#54     Dec 19, 2017
  5. Will cost you your house.Gambling, man, pure gambling.More like house advantage.

#55     Dec 19, 2017
  6. d08

d08

This discussion is going nowhere. If I'm gambling as you say then so be it, I'm just absurdly lucky. As are all the successful systematic funds, just "lucky" for decade after decade after decade.

#56     Dec 19, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  7. The ''successful systematic'' fund are running billions.How much do you run?

#57     Dec 19, 2017
  8. d08

d08

That is relevant how? First off, very few are managing billions, most are managing low millions. Secondly, smaller size is rather an advantage for a one man retail operation. You're grasping at straws here. I've encountered so many like yourself on ET, people who refuse to accept that there are other people who do what you can't do. There are many also smarter than myself that outperform me and find strategies in places where I'd be completely lost. It doesn't mean what they do is impossible, just impossible for me.

#58     Dec 19, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  9. I`m not saying no one can be profitable.Remember, all i said was that predicting volatility was not possible.And no one will ever do it.

I personally know dozens of guys who blew their funds up with the automation.Magna cum laude guys in comp.and math science,you wouldn`t want to play math with.

#59     Dec 19, 2017
  10. d08

d08

A degree does not guarantee success. All sorts of industries are full of uneducated people outperforming PhDs. It might not be likely but it's very possible.
    By taking a directional trade, I'm effectively "predicting volatility".

#60     Dec 19, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.