What's a the best trading platform today?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by jgold310, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jgold310

jgold310

Hello everyone,

I used to trade 5 years ago in Miami and now I would like to start again. Back then I used the MACH1. The trading firm I used closed down many years ago and now I need some help on finding a good platform. I like the Scottrade Elite platform. The layout is great and the $7 a trade sounds pretty good.

Opinions are appreciated.

2. jgold310

jgold310

Forgot to ask.... is Scottrade direct access? I looked in their website and it does not mention it. Called the local branch and the woman said yes but sounded like she had no idea what that is.

3. ess1096

ess1096

The answer will obviously depend on two things, what will you trade and how will you trade it (time frame).

I use Scottrade Elite to trade stocks and options and I think it's great for day trades, swings and position trades. Scalping is hit or miss so I wouldn't try it with any kind of size. Usually execution is very quick but occasionally an order can get "stuck" in the system and I'll have to call the local office to unstick it. If a limit order got stuck and I was entitled to a fill I will get my limit price but if a market order gets stuck they will deal you huge slippage.

You can't route your orders but that doesn't bother me. I love the Trade Ideas software and the on screen tools for technical analysis are pretty good.

For the price I like Scottrade a lot.

4. jgold310

jgold310

Thanks for the reply. I don't scalp. When I started trading back in the days I used Datek and that worked fine. I like to hold positions for at least 5-10 unless it goes against me.

I see a lot of talk about IB in this forum.

5. ess1096

ess1096

I agree, there are a lot of IB users here. I think that's because there are a lot of futures traders here trading the minis.

I don't trade futures and I am very comfortable with the Elite platform. It's totally customizable.

6. ids

ids

We have a big volume in stocks and options trading. It is kind of funny to restrict IB strength to trading minis.

7. i was about to say i think ib does much more business in stocks and options than emini's. i'd say 2/3 's of the people on elite have an ib account to trade something

8. ids

ids

We are also very satisfied with our futures volumes :D

9. ess1096

ess1096

It was JUST a thought, a theory if you will. I have no actual opinion, good or bad, about IB.