Whats a good platform and data feed to go with IB for day trading stocks?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by _eug_, Feb 22, 2017.

1. #21     Feb 23, 2017
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Dude! You need to rattle somebody's cage.
    After 5?? years of pretty steady performance that SO outshined AT&T DSL before them, Bright House (now owned by Spectrum) gave *crap* performance every 3-4 days, between 3pm-5pm ET. As you can imagine, that was not cool.

Bright House denied any node- or system-wide work issues, and as I was getting ready to jump ship, they gave a gratis increase in performance (from maybe 15Mbps to 30Mbps?) in a big advertising campaign. WOW, what a difference.

BUT!!! In the past 3 years, the amount of advertising sludge that gets routed through (to Yahoo! CNBC etc etc), first lots of pics, then *moving* pics, then with *audio*, now in HD!!!) and not only is the old cable service inadequate, but even my computer (an older "gaming" computer) is no longer cutting the mustard. (Actually, it's the back-up. I forgot about the Great White Horse sitting nearby -- a water-cooled thing -- no lie. I actually think it's Self-Aware -- it's that smart. Sheeeesh!)

I now have 75Mbps (6Mbps upload) with an average ping of <20. IN REALITY, what I ask of my system has not changed in 5 years?? 6 years?? But what was "over-equipped" 3-4 years ago, is now "adequate" and every time I turn around, I see a creeping, insidious eroding of performance, all driven NOT BY WORK, but by sludge.

SO!!! If you're grinding through 15Mbps?? Phew!!!!
    You're gonna love what's ahead.
    Seriously. Go rattle Spectrum's cage.
    Worth your time.

#22     Feb 23, 2017
  3. Handle123

Handle123

Not only knowing the manager by first name, know all the techs as well and half the techs that come out to office. There is flipping problem with the cable, whoever put in original cables used wrong conduit and it is like tiny and instead of running in like normal cable installers along the street and across crosswalks, it zig zags and much of it in middle of the street for half mile, and they reluctant to tear up the street for three customers. So I have T-1 for few hundred, DSL basic and other backup is satellite dish http://directexede.com/?id=3&kbid=90583, if I was going to stay in area, I'd move into somewhere much closer to their dishes for an office, but am planning on relocating to East Texas, tired of living in Mexicanville border town, by July I will be in remission I believe and then I am gone.

WOW 75Mbps

#23     Feb 23, 2017
    beginner66 likes this.
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

THAT IS GROSS!
    I am a recovering audiophile, amongst other claims, and used to make/sell my own hoighty-toighty cables. And I'll tell you that cables/connections make a HUGE difference.

Their local node might be giving you 75Mbps right now, and you'd never know it cuz of all the leakage in the set-up you described.

I have a 3' cable serving my desktop computer. And I have 3-4 50' LAN lines that wind around the house. AND, I built ("Shhhhhhh!") a 120' deal for the neighbor. The quickest I can get on my interior 50'-ers is about 2/3rds of whatever the house modem is getting to the desktop 3' away -- whether commercial or homebrew. And the 120'-er (which runs outside, but within conduit) is more like 33%. This is CAT6 or CAT6+ stuff, and I'm a pretty anal craftsman, and it ALL gets degraded with distance. The difference?? This is all "internal" cable, not the much more hefty, and more pricey, cable with which they hook up houses.

If you got shoddy cable? You're being ripped off. That thin rot you described makes me suspicious. You might well get better service from a neighbor's wifi!

BEST WISHES on staying, or going, and on Life in general.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    #24     Feb 23, 2017
  5. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

That's exactly happening in the mobile phone market as well. With each new OS update the platform gets slower and slower. Some chalk it up to technological improvements that enable slicker interfaces and better image quality, sound,... Among, yes, also more gimmicks that are not strictly necessary. Someone who does not keep upgrading will experience a degradation in service. Guess that's life in a capitalist world. Be part of it or lose out so to speak.

But honestly speaking the US Internet infrastructure is much behind its other industrialized nation rivals. Too little competition and too much sleeping in the same bed between companies and their regulators.

#25     Feb 23, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  6. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

There are solutions to convert the signal and have it run through optic fiber over any desired distance. Not cheap yet you can find them. Hardly any degradation there.

#26     Feb 23, 2017
  7. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

#27     Feb 23, 2017
  8. Liquidips

Liquidips

You can also use a vps solution, which will provide you a stable and solids connectivity to your broker

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2017
    #28     Feb 25, 2017
  9. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Lol, really? How so? Care to explain?

#29     Feb 25, 2017
  10. Liquidips

Liquidips

More stability and reliability for trading
    With Utral low latency with <1ms to many brokers, all orders will be filled instantly including server sides oco .
    Easy scalability with resources.
    Your vps is up 24x7 anytime and can be used for automated trading, including an uptime of 99.99999 percent.
    It's also a Cost effective solutions for anyone having latency issues with their isp and much more

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2017
    #30     Feb 26, 2017