what's a good datafeed for linux?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Tcl, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Tcl

Tcl

Flip

Is was said on their forum and I actually tried it myself, I ran IQFeed and made few feed requests using telnet

#21     Jul 20, 2012
  2. flip

flip

okay interesting, thanks

#22     Jul 20, 2012
  3. Makis

Makis

I run it on openSuse under wine with the sockets api. No issues.

#23     Jul 20, 2012
  4. IQFeed, hands down. Yeah, it requires some socket programming, but here's the thing: It works! Also, while it sucks that it's a text protocol, it's also a bonus that it's a text protocol. Basically any programming language can deal with that stream of input.

I've tried all the other retail options, and they are ALL terrible. ESignal's servers are in California. There is no debate with retail-class data feeds. IQFeed is the best.

#24     Jul 20, 2012
  5. Makis

Makis

Anyone has experience with NxCore? Seems the same feed as IQFeed with a better API. Looks like no string parsing and smaller payload which translates to more symbols under the same bandwidth/hardware as IQFeed. Any feedback out there?

#25     Jul 20, 2012
  6. It is better. Way better. But NxCore costs a lot more, and arguably isn't for the casual just-starting-out retail trader.

#26     Jul 20, 2012
  7. I have four (soon to be six) NxCore feeds coming into the same data room here. I've worked with the data a bit. You definitely get what you pay for with the NxCore over IQfeed. These guys are pulling over 55,000 equity symbols at a tick level over the NxCore but the price is a bit different... $100 a month vs. whatever NxCore is... ~$750/month (I just keep the servers running 24/7 and don't get involved with the billing).

Just for reference, one of these guys is a big Linux guy and the NxCore API only works on Windows. You can run WINE from Linux or you could run Cygwin from Windows but because of design you can't just run the stock NxCore API on a Linux box.

After much discussion we chose to run Cygwin from a Windows box vs. WINE from a Linux box.

#27     Jul 20, 2012