what's a good datafeed for linux?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Tcl, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Tcl

Tcl

in case you mean me by this, i am looking for a data feed and APIs for using the feeds, preferably C/C++

I am not interested in canned application or charting and trading applications, I put the trades in the web interface of the brokers, I have no problem with that and all web interfaces so far run fine in linux

#11     Jun 6, 2012
  2. 2rosy

2rosy

what does a data feed have to do with linux?

#12     Jun 14, 2012
  3. Makis

Makis

Every data feed vendor provides an API to downstream users to access the feed. That is in the form of header files and static or dynamic libraries in the case of C++.

Most vendors that cater to individuals or very small firms only compile and support their API on Windows since linux is not very popular within that market segment.

#13     Jun 15, 2012
  4. ramack

ramack

Hi Tcl,

Sounds like your OS is Linux, all my boxes at home run Debian and I'm looking for a trading platform which will run natively essentially out of the box. What platform do you use and what OS?

Rich

#14     Jul 14, 2012
  5. That's an awesome OS but quite rare (maybe rare is the wrong word but very few people in the trading world will probably know what debian is). What flavor are you running? I have Squeeze on two machines but I hate to say it, I may switch over to BSD. I highly doubt that you will find anything that will run "out of the box" on any flavor of Debian.

I've never heard of anyone running trading applications on Debian. I just don't think you are going to find something.

Have you thought about using something like Xen (hypervisor) so that you can keep using Debian as well as something like Windows or Ubuntu for trading?

#15     Jul 19, 2012
  6. ramack

ramack

Hey Winston,

I was running Sid on my boxes at home, Testing on my netbooks & laptops, and Testing at work. I switched back to Testing on everything at home except a box that has a TV card in it. I like Debian more than Red Hat or OpenSuse.

What I have been using is MT4 on my VirtualBox XP guest and seems to be working well. I didn't want another PC around just for trading, but having the XP guest works well for my CAD packages so I figured MT4 wouldn't choke it. I did try OANDA, but received a lot of Java errors and didn't want to take the time to find out why.

Rich

#16     Jul 19, 2012
  7. 2rosy

2rosy

i been running openbsd since 2.5. it works on most hardware and is simple to install. i tried ubuntu and centos recently on a dell celeron laptop and neither installed; openbsd installed in minutes. However, i dont use bsd for anything realtime trading related

#17     Jul 19, 2012
  8. ramack

ramack

Hey 2rosy,

What do you use? OS and platform..

#18     Jul 19, 2012
  9. Tcl

Tcl

Greetings ramack

I didnt start trading from my linux machine yet, I wanted too because my programming knowledge have been mostly on linux mainly Perl, and some C and some C++, and I want to move away from Excel!
    And I am personally more willing to invest more in Perl and C++, rather than C#

Anyway, my research for far, you can use iqfeed and socket programming since iqfeed runs on linux via wine

There is also ActiveTick which offers a C++ API for its feed on linux and another HTTP option which I dont fully understand.
    ActiveTick have been around for a while now, but their website dont really inspire confidence , not enough information about the company or their people, you will not find the name and contact of a single person on their website

There used to be a company called futureprice, but their product was beta, there wasnt any information on how to buy their datafeed and recently their website stopped opening!!!

Finally there is Rithmic R Api, which is to my understanding run on linux and can be used to place order and receive their datafeed, you cant buy their service directly from them, you will need to open an account with a broker that offer their API as an option like "Vision Financial Markets"

I will probably try iqfeed on wine first, and try to make a move to Rithmic / Vision Financial later next year

#19     Jul 20, 2012
  10. flip

flip

Hi Tcl, where do you have this info from that iqfeed should run on Linux via wine? At least it's not listed here: http://appdb.winehq.org

thx for the info!

#20     Jul 20, 2012