what's a good datafeed for linux?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Tcl, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Tcl

Tcl

I've been looking for a while for a good streaming datafeed that runs on linux, and I cant find any without some flaws!
    I am of course looking for retail stuff 100 USD or less per month

-IQFeed, require wine, socket programming, which seems worrying
    -Activetick, some complained that support is sometimes unreachable and the content of their seem to suggest that it may be hard to reach out to the people behind it
    -FuturePrice is also faceless, no pricing info, I dont even know who is their target clients

Any suggestions?

2. WINE...

If you can't deal with WINE then up your budget to the $1,500/month range. There are a lot of GREAT UDP data feeds that are Linux friendly.

3. I sent you a PM but I'll ad a little more here.

The new version of Ubuntu (Precise Pengolin) is supposed to have much better "Windows-like" support. Also Server 2008 R2's Hypervisor functionality isn't bad. If all else fails you can always run VMware's workstation or VMware Player (free) inside a windows machine to get your Linux fix.

Also there is cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) that a lot of guys use from windows to get a linux CLI.

Also Windows Server-8 is still in Beta/Consumer Preview (and currently free) is awesome. The Hypervisor in Server-8 is awesome.

4. raincrab

raincrab

MB Trading has a feed in plaintext (SSL encrypted I think). I looked at it a while back, would be very easy to parse.

5. I think MB Trading uses the RealTick/TAL toolkit as their back-end. I have used TAL before on a project and it was very fast, but I would be concerned that a simple text protocol would be very inefficient.

6. Are you talking about the feed itself, or a canned application that accesses the feed?

7. Rithmic R|API.

8. raincrab

raincrab

their API docs are available on some yahoo group thing, i signed up for a demo account a while back and looked into it. plaintext in itself would be inefficient but would get compressed a lot just by encapsulating in an ssl socket.

9. raincrab

raincrab

just the feed itself, not some library/program that runs on your machine that you interface with, you'd be connecting remotely and parsing the raw data feed.

10. Catoosa

Catoosa

A MBT customer service rep recently told me MBT was getting their data from ComStock but you can not count on MBT customer service reps for correct information.

#10     May 1, 2012