What’s an acceptable max DD for a strategy?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by macintash, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Usefull answer. I agree there is a big difference between trading your own money and managing OPM. For OPM I would not feel comfortable on anything more then 10% DD, that’s absolutely max.

#21     Jan 23, 2013
  2. so how's that managing opm going for you?

are they happy with their returns?

#22     Jan 23, 2013
  3. PaulVl

PaulVl

20%-30% of one year total ##% return?

#23     Jan 23, 2013
  4. I am not managing othe OPM now. I do manage for a couple of partners some small amounts, and yes they are very happy

#24     Jan 24, 2013
  5. oh...bollocks!

All these "super traders" who appear now.

If you could do that I'll re-mortage my hosue and you can trade for me....

Work on 2.5:1

25% gains 10.% D.D.'s
    50% gains 20%+ DD's

etc..roughly is my rule of thumb.

Managed money......"remember big money is more concerend with the return OF their money than the return on their money"

But you could set up a high risk fund. Millionaires gamble in Vegas why not in the financial markets?

Roll up, roll up....winner takes all. Lose 50% for the chance to mdouble it?"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i think it is best to keep your DD below 7%, while generating returns of about 40% p.a.

#25     Jan 24, 2013
  6. I think the vast majority of "investors" would be p**'d as hell at 25%+ losses.

Especially if they were paying you for this privileage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's very dangerous and scary to watch your account drop 25% and then have the balls to pull the trigger on the next trade....I wouldn't do it

#26     Jan 24, 2013
  7. bone

bone

If you're a CTA with managed accounts from what I have seen a 10 % drawdown in a month will doom you in terms of client redemptions and mass exodus. I have had several CTA's tell me that they strongly entertain the notion of ending the client business and return back to trading their own capital.

Clients just do not want any risk post-2008. That just seems to be the fact of life in terms of managed accounts.

Personal capital DD's is strictly personal preference in terms of emotional and pain tolerance levels.

#27     Jan 24, 2013
  8. I am not a money manager, and I wasn’t talking about 10% DD in a month. I was referring to daily peak to valley DD, with an absolute cap of 10% DD in a worst case scenario. (Usually in order to be able to figure out a max DD in a worst case scenario, I would want to see a max 4-5% DD in general) I think that’s reasonable.

#28     Jan 24, 2013
  9. Things start to get asymmetric at 25% DD (which requires 33% gain to recover).

A back test with different position sizes will show this effect as the strategy peaks and then implodes as leverage is added.

It's a subjective topic that is very personal. Not everyone recovers from a 60% head shot.....

#29     Jan 24, 2013
  10. This is great newz, thanks for the info.

Lots of room now for moderate DD strategies, since they are off limits to CTAs

#30     Jan 24, 2013