What would you say about a hedge fund that puts 40% of their capital in one stock?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Daal, Oct 25, 2017.

1. 777

Not really.

Buffett is literally paid to use the leverage of his insurance float.

However, we have to pay handsomely to use leverage and we may not be so smart with it

Along the lines you are thinking... we can buy and hold Berkshire Hathaway, though.

Serriously... investors could make far worse choices than letting Buffett and his successors handle some of their money for the next 30 years.

That Buffet guy has assembled quite a crew, culture and mechanism for maintaining the culture via his COB after he leaves the firm.

#41     Nov 10, 2017
  2. 777

Rethinking my hasty reply.

Yes.. the devil details.

However, there have been times where Berkshire and the market have lost half their value which would have wiped out or caused undesired liquidation of many investors who thought they had a long run plan.

But I think there are many worse plans than buying some unleveraged Berkshire and holding it for decades, the more decades the better. Obvious reasons.

#42     Nov 10, 2017
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Try backtest with different leverage levels and costs of borrowing.

#43     Nov 11, 2017
    777 likes this.
  4. 777

Leveraging Berkshire depends partly on the cost and your attitude toward risk.

I would like to note Buffett's long standing attitude toward Berkshire leveraging its stock purchases as well as his general advice on leveraging stock purchases. Then I will mention his partners early use of leverage for some balance:

Buffett has been happy going the slower but safer route and has routinely shunned leverage.

Other than a few special situations that involve arbitrage (the details escape me at the moment) Buffett has declined leveraging Berkshire's market positions by borrowing. He has leveraged his insurance float, which is a different situation, and there was an academic paper showing that over half of Berkshire's outperformance has come from this.

Buffett believes the great majority of the time he could juice up his earn with leverage but when the perhaps one in a hundred years series of calamities occurs, Berkshire will still be around and strong. (Say... there is a monster market drop and then Berkshire's insurance businesses take multiple and massive hits).

Basically:

Buffett never minded going slower but safer and that is his general advice.
    ____

Buffett's partner Charlie Munger, who taught Buffett a thing or two and whose rationality Bill Gates praises highly, used large leverage when he was young, before hooking up with Buffett.
    ____

I think most people would be advised to not leverage their long term stock investments because of the cost of borrowing and the added risk.

Of course the younger one is and the less he has, the more likely it is that cases could be made in special situations for leveraging, but most people will assess these situations incorrectly.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    #44     Nov 13, 2017
  5. ironchef

ironchef

It worked, so far.:)

#45     Nov 13, 2017
  6. I think it is fine for hedge funds to do unusual things. But they must communicate their plans up-front to their investors and then follow the plan. They shouldn't call themselves something like "broad Asian exposure fund" and then have two companies in it. That would not be truth in advertising.

Some funds have high minimum net worth requirements. They are simply too risky for a person to lose their essential living money over.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    #46     Nov 17, 2017