What would you do?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lpchad, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rwk

rwk

Cutten's advice is probably the most sensible response so far, but your reaction is about the same as mine. I am semi-retired now, and I never found a secure, well-paid job I could stomach. Probably my biggest regret has been the time and effort I wasted looking.

It makes sense to try trading, but keep you financial commitment as small as possible, because you will never be a worse trader than you are right now. Also, make sure you have a plan "B".

#21     Apr 17, 2009
  2. lpchad

lpchad

To piggyback on this does anyone here blog or have side internet businesses to help normalize your income when your equity curve takes a hit?

Seems like this would be a good way to help make trading more realistic.

#22     Apr 17, 2009
  3. lpchad

lpchad

Cutten's advice is probably the most sensible response so far, but your reaction is about the same as mine. I am semi-retired now, and I never found a secure, well-paid job I could stomach. Probably my biggest regret has been the time and effort I wasted looking.

It makes sense to try trading, but keep you financial commitment as small as possible, because you will never be a worse trader than you are right now. Also, make sure you have a plan "B".
    [/QUOTE]

I'm glad to know I am not the only one that thinks this way. Growing up I always earned money by myself by cutting lawns, DJing school dances, odd jobs and never held a job most high schoolers had (i.e. fast food, retail, etc). I was happiest and took pride in my work during those years. Then I went to college and got mindfucked with what all of my peers were doing. It was all about being in the right major, applying to the right companies, and living in the right apartments, etc. You get the drill. I never fully bought into the scheme and have determined that I will never be satisfied working for someone else.

I can care less about titles, prestige of where I work, and climbing a corporate ladder. At one point I was going to get an MBA. I am thankful I was smart enough to back out of that idea. It would only prepare me for more corporate jobs. Now I find myself 6 years out of school, have been disciplined on average paying jobs and in great physical shape from working out all of these years. I feel that each day I spend doing the mindless work I do is just another day wasted. The very thought of continuing to live my life doing a job for no reason other than a paycheck destroys me. At the same time, I am gripped by fear of failure as I have always had a plan and executed it accordingly.

I am probably making everything harder than it needs to be.

#23     Apr 17, 2009
  4. lpchad

lpchad

Yes, strongly considering this actually for my next vacation before Obama opens it up. Easy to do from a flight from Canada or Mexico.

#24     Apr 17, 2009
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

yes you are.....relax. Travel is a great idea. Seriously go visit Cuba, Open up a little hardware store...peace

#25     Apr 17, 2009
  6. OffTilt

OffTilt Guest

Im in almost the same situation as you (25 with 100k liquid....not nearly as much in retirement though). I'm sticking 10k in a prop firm to trade 100 lots. I also have a part time job that covers most of my living expenses (0 debt and live cheap). If I blow the 10k I will reevaluate my decision and go from there. However, trading is what I want to do so I don't see it as wasting the money. I'd rather give it a 100% and lose 100k than be sitting on my death bed wondering what if.

EDIT: Also, I would enjoy travelling much more knowing im at the top of my game in a successful career vs travelling and wondering what the hell im going to do when I get back. I'm not much of a live in the moment type person. I'm usually always thinking about the next step and if I don't know what it is I can't enjoy the moment....maybe thats a bad thing.

#26     Apr 17, 2009
  7. lpchad

lpchad

I am the same way, always thinking about the next step. I would love to go travel if I knew I was on the right path and can justify some shorter trips in the meantime. I don't want to do the equivalent of grad school for typical people our age and just delay things.

What do you do for a part time job? Just curious.

#27     Apr 17, 2009
  8. rwk

rwk

This sounds like something I might have written 30 years ago. I was a computer programmer and worked on contract rather than part time. I worked full time as long as the job lasted (3 - 30 months), then studied/traded between jobs. I found it was much easier to take a vacation and spend money when I was working than when I was between jobs. Between jobs, all I could think about was how long would it last? When I had money coming in, I could relax and think about what I would REALLY like to be doing.

Don't dismiss fear of failure -- it's there for a reason. But when you're young and single, you can always start over.

#28     Apr 17, 2009
  9. OffTilt

OffTilt Guest

I work at a high end steakhouse

#29     Apr 17, 2009
  10. noone3

noone3

nice thread, with interesting ideas on the table.
    Just for the story, i have the same age and i am currently a day trader with a longer view to become an entrepreneur and longer term (long swing) trader.
    As far as trading is concerned, there are many styles that u can adopt according to your needs, personality, passions, goals etc.
    Thus, trading some of your money wouldnt be a bad idea if that is what u really want. Just remember to plan ur trading and trade that plan of yours with discipline.
    As for the trips, i believe that they are the greatest investment a man can do, but as every other investment, it requires proper timing.
    Good luck mate

#30     Apr 17, 2009