What would you do if your account was in this situation?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by xif99, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Xif,

Fib beat me to the answer. :)

I would suggest taking a good look at some of the 2x and 3x funds, and performing a correlation against the SPX or Russell 2000 (maybe even SPY or IWM), or whatever instrument they are associated with - - - you might be surprised how the correlation is not as close as you think.

AZD

#21     Mar 7, 2009
  2. xif99

xif99

Holy crap!

So what you should do if expecting a bull market return is short the 2x inverse ETFs. do they have positive expectancy over time? :D :eek:

#22     Mar 9, 2009
  3. what's your regular ET nick? come on, don't be shy.

#23     Mar 9, 2009
  4. I agree 100%. Allowing large open-loss/gaping wound positions to develop damages the psyche more than anyone will admit. Today's up day probably created a large amount of buyers anxiety in a lot of traders. Especially those with large open losses trying to get back to break even. Unfortunately, this cycle of emotions compounds the problem. This is the personality of a bear market.

I don't really have any advice except not to chase lost money. All the best to your trading.

#24     Mar 10, 2009

5. 10-15 years! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    I wonder how it all turned out for Xif. This thread should be saved and studied as it nailed the exact bottom and the corresponding emotions to a tee.

#25     Sep 14, 2009
  6. Yes. That's awesome. Perfect real-time narrative of the heart of why simple opportunistic decisions become confused nauseating decisions when cost-basis is bad.

Also perfect in fleshing out why capitulations happen, even though "everyone" knows they are opportunities.

#26     Sep 15, 2009