What would you choose...money or happiness?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by peilthetraveler, Dec 23, 2010.

Money or happiness

1. I would take the red pill without thought and be happy

44 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. I would take the $500 million without thought

84 vote(s)
    54.9%
  3. I would take the red pill after alot of consideration.

14 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. I would take the money after alot of consideration.

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. emg

emg

red pill? sound like u are living in the matrix. wake up and smell the reality. Day Trading is not get rich quick.

#51     Dec 28, 2010
  2. you need to clearly rephrase the question.

what is 'rich;

what is 'happiness'

why choose..there lots of rich and happy people..

why would you not be happy if you are rich?

the question you ask 'stupid question'

nobody will offer you 500 million and ask you to choose okay get real. and stop dreamming of 500 million dollars. you don't need 500 million....the chance of a person having 500 million dollars is almos nil for most people and most people don't care about making 500 million dollars.. you don' need that much money.

#52     Dec 29, 2010
  3. Cheese

Cheese

This is such an old question. Money or happiness?

Of course the obvious should occur to everyone. They are not alternatives. You can have one, both or neither.
    :)

#53     Dec 29, 2010
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Clearly people, some of you have real trouble with hypotheticals. Here is one genius:

#54     Dec 29, 2010
  5. hey, having made millions, lost it , and making it back, you can't tell me that money don't rent happiness. Cause when you are broke, not only are you miserable, but you make everyone around you miserable too. It sounds shallow, but take the money and run. You got plenty of people sleeping on the floor at Penn Station who swear they are happy, and all cracked out.

To the guy who gave a scholarship to his college, you are quite a guy, congrats on looking outside yourself. When I lived in NY and took the LIRR home everyday to the island from work, I used to buy boxes of donuts and give them to the homeless sleeping on the steps of the railroad after every winning trading day. So that means they got to eat at least twice a month. Hey, at least I was trying, right.

Being rich does not make you happy, but it sures makes you happier than being broke. Trust me on that one.

#55     Dec 30, 2010
  6. You left out "None of the above."

My mother-in-law is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's disease. She is content and happy.

While I have my wits and drive I can strive for both. That's my plan.

#56     Dec 30, 2010
  7. What is the point of discussing a hypothetical that could never be?

To be alive means to suffer pain, grief, sadness, etc. AT SOME POINT, and I suppose one could even argue that without these to compare other states to there might be no such thing as "happiness".

#57     Dec 30, 2010
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Steve, money can't (always) buy health.

Too soon?

#58     Jan 18, 2011
  9. syd430

syd430

i dont want to be happy all the time. Where's the fun in that?

#59     Jan 23, 2011
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

If that is your happiness criteria, then you would be occasionally sad, just to make you happy. :)

#60     Jan 23, 2011