What Works in Trading & Why: Part II: CENSORSHIP

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by 2manywhiners, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Look, my post was deleted because it looked detrimental to your sponsor. I'm not an idiot, and I'm not 19. I understand your censoring policy. Most message boards have similar rules of conduct. But BLAH? Gimme a break.

All I did was second another member's remark about that particular post being EXACTLY THE SAME ONE THAT WAS ALREADY IN ANOTHER THREAD.

Blah really needed to be censored? How about WilliamRennick? No censoring some of his remarks. I particularly like his post a couple weeks ago
    This post really needed to be moved to "feedback"? I wonder why it's not in the main forum? Hmmm...

I left this site back in 2002, after just a handful of posts, because of the extremely rude things many members said to new traders. Market sentiment at the time was at its lowest point since the bubble burst, and letting members rant and vent frustrations at that time was probably acceptable collateral. But censoring a complaint about identical posts, and a "I second that" remark?...

This is stupid.

#11     Apr 15, 2006
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

No, your one-word post was deleted because it added no value to the thread whatsoever. None.

#12     Apr 15, 2006
  3. Just like every other one word thread on ET is deleted right? Just Like every no word, single punctuation post right?

I'm sure that most of the members viewing this thread see me as the bad guy, right?

#13     Apr 15, 2006
  4. Why argue with Baron????? :confused: :confused:

#14     Apr 15, 2006
  5. TGregg

TGregg

Maybe his alias should be

2manywhiners+1

:D

#15     Apr 15, 2006
  6. I found a nice article about character. It's called...

"CEOs say how you treat a waiter can predict a lot about character"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20...owyoutreatawaitercanpredictalotaboutcharacter

Just because someone treats an influential person with respect and dignity, does not make them a polite or kind person. It's how you treat people as a whole, that makes you who you are.

I have not bashed anyone, or more specifically any sponsors. I made a remark, in jest, about the re-posting of material in multiple threads, and another remark (blah) on a separate thread similar to the original remark. I was censored, which was ludicrous, and I decided to speak out about it.

Never before have I posted comments on ET, and received complaints against them. I am here to provide insight, mostly to beginners in search of how to get started in an industry that is reputably brutal toward newcomers, and general knowledge that wasn't readily available to me at the time I started out in the market. I reply to many threads, most of them about psychology or money and risk management, and the vast majority of the time I try to find a common ground between members engaging in incessant arguing, in order to avoid useless bickering. That type of behavior is detrimental to beginners who are searching for answers. When new members post a question, they are hoping to find a solution to their problem, not a useless battle of wits between unarmed opponents (to quote a regularly used quote on ET :p ) That type of thing is not going to provide new members confidence in the legitimacy of ET.

So, I understand the need for censorship on this site. It keeps the infrastructure intact and the backbone of legitimacy stable. However, I felt the censorship in my case was laughable. I simply wanted to state my opinion on the matter. I still haven't engaged in sponsor bashing, or any other kind of bashing for that matter. The fact that some people want to have me castrated for calling out what I believed to be unnecessary censorship is absurd. Point fingers at those causing trouble, not at those who have previously, and will continue to, play by the rules.

As for cut-n-pasting everything... That's a bit overboard. After seeing all of my complaints stick to the wall, so to speak, I have recovered much of my confidence in ET's ability to allow its members to be heard. That being said; it would be nice to be able to post some clean, comical, and sometimes absurd posts on these boards without being overly edited or censored unless absolutely necessary. Thank you for allowing me to be heard, and before people bash me any further, or question my intelligence, please feel free to search me and review the previous posts I have submitted. I think you will find me to bear resemblance to the depth and quality of character that I've laid claim to.

Again, thank you for allowing me to be heard. It is an appreciated privilege.

#16     Apr 15, 2006
  7. hehe...you better grab my edits fast as sometimes I communicate "between the edits"....

#17     Apr 16, 2006
  8. am asking for guys like u to be banned, permanently... won't even bother to explain... ciao ;-)

#18     Apr 22, 2006
  9. More often than not (not every single time)...

If another ET member complains about someone's commentary...the moderator or Baron will take a look at the commentary and then edit or delete if the complaint has merits.

Further, if the same commentary is posted in another thread and nobody complains...there's a strong chance that commentary will remain.

My point is this...Baron and the moderators don't have the ability to read every commentary nor do they attempt to do such.

They rely on us ET members to use the complaint button that's located bottom right of message posts to notify them of a commentary that a member thinks is offending or adds no value to a thread.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=1047225

Simply, I often see the exact same commentary elsewhere in other threads go untouched.

However, when ever I've complained about a similar like commentary in a different thread...moderator will take action only in the thread I sent a complaint about.

Therefore, when you see someone's else commentary elsewhere being untouched...nobody used the complaint button to put it on the radar for Baron or a moderator.

If WilliamRennick posts aren't being censored...it could be for the fact that nobody is using the complaint button to notify Baron or moderators about a specific post.

More often than not such is the case via what I see occurring at ET.

Yet, be aware that just because you sent in a complaint to a moderator via the complaint button or via pm...

Doesn't imply the moderator has read your complaint that same day.

(moderators don't hang out at ET 24/7)

I've seen moderators respond to some of my complaints...several days after the fact simply because they returned to ET after being away for whatever reasons.

Here's something funny, I remember a similar like discussion like this and the ET member admitted he didn't/never bother to use the complaint button about a particular member posts that goes uncensored (posts were abusive).

A few weeks later...that other ET member that had prior gone uncensored...

Started a thread here in feedback about why his posts were suddenly being edited/deleted when such commentary had not been censored in the past and that other members were posting the same thing and their posts weren't being censored.

:D :D :D

P.S. If anything I've said above meets any of the following criteria as stated in ET policy...

This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

The link below can be used to send a complaint to the moderator of this Feedback thread.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/report.php?s=&postid=1047225

Mark

#19     Apr 22, 2006