What Works in Trading & Why: Part I

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NoiseTrader, Apr 14, 2006.

1. I too am not pleased with the censorship, but let's judge Noise Trader by how usefully he contributes...

Real time calls would be a great start...

#11     Apr 14, 2006
  2. toc

toc

Look forward to the real time calls.

#12     Apr 14, 2006
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Again, if you visit his site, the real-time calls issue is already addressed there in black and white. He already posts real-time calls and you can check them out for free for six weeks.

http://www.axis-analytics.com/

#13     Apr 14, 2006
  4. og5

og5

Shouldn't it be the opposite? People should not be able to buy credibility

#14     Apr 14, 2006
  5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

If you're implying that it's appropriate to call every business a fraud and/or a scam by default, then no, I don't think it should be that way at all.

#15     Apr 14, 2006
  6. Respect should be granted by default. Credibility, however, must be earned; appropriate skepticism preserves capital. However, me thinks the posse chasing the OP has been a little too quick pulling out rope.

#16     Apr 14, 2006
  7. Just a few comments.

Certainly it goes without question that Baron has the right to establish the rules and framework for his site. None of us should have a problem with that...and in deed, if we do have a problem with the particular rules and/or framework established it's a simple matter not to participate. I would go on to say that if I were the owner of this site I would bend over backwards to give a paying sponsor the right to make responsible comments.

Certainly this particular sponsor has published some articles of interest. Further, he has given everyone the possibility the right to observe real time calls for the next month. Seems reasonable to me. And as with most things that have to do with the market, this will sort itself out as time goes along.

Personally, I don't have an interest in reading a bunch of guys pounding another individual for posting some articles.

One final point: I've been trading the markets for most of my adult life....about 40 years at this point. I think I can safely say that none of us have all the answers. And for those of you who think you do...rest assured that you don't. You just don't know it yet.

During my 40 years of trading I've traded my own money. But for a part of that time earlier in my career, I managed money for a while, traded an account for the firm, etc etc. One advantage this had was that I had the possibility to profit without the attendant risk of loss of my personal funds. Nice advantage. But there is no pressure like the pressure of a third party expecting certain results. After a period of time I decided I was much more comfortable running my own money...where I only had to answer to myself and the market.

Selling advice is similar. Your own money may not be on the line...an advantage....but again, there is considerable pressure from your clients. It may be more a question of which set of advantages/disadvantages is more preferable for the particular individual. Some people just aren't as objective when there own money is at risk. In my case, I hated the pressure of third parties relative to my market decisions.

This guy deserves an opportunity to show what he does. Chances are he'll make some good decisions and some bad. How he manages all that will eventually illustrate how good he is.

OldTrader

#17     Apr 14, 2006
  8. Monkish...I like that one.:D

#18     Apr 14, 2006
  9. Davo

Davo

I don't think it's appropriate to call every business a fraud. We need brokers, charting software and data providers. But I do think people or companies that sell trading signals and trading systems usually (not always) fall under fraud and/or scam by default. If their signals or systems are that great they would be they would be hoarding millions or possible billions to themselves.

Nevertheless........we should always show respect to a 28 year veteran trader like NoiseTrader. I've read his Manifesto and like what I see.

NoiseTrader, Thank you! I sit at your feet.

#19     Apr 14, 2006
  10. Could you be a more complete wuss? "I sit at your feet?" You need to get over to my house tomorrow and clean my garage. PM me for the driving directions.

The guy either has a product or service that clients perceive as adding value, or he doesn't. The market decides. Thats about it.

Regarding what we "owe" new people (posters, sponsors, etc), well I figure we owe people civility, politeness and good manners to begin with (unless they are obvious spammers). I was taught that you "trust but verify" and then the chips fall where they may.

On the subject of censorship, while I don't like it, I realize that we are guests in Baron's house. Since ET members provide content (and content is king) I figure we ought to get a little leeway, and I know I have been "cut some slack" more than once.

As far as what works, while I am interested in big ideas, I need to see a little more than suggestions. I would expect a vendor of "big ideas" to have some test results available for our consideration. I would like to see them posted here.

Best to all.
    Steve

#20     Apr 15, 2006