What Will You Do When You Go Bust?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by redart, Jan 31, 2003.

1. garbo

garbo

One more suggestion on the poetic/literary end: Pick up a copy of "Zen and the Art of Archery". Essential read for anyone who seeks to master a demanding craft.

Another thought: I agree with the notion that trading is actually a truly BORING task. Most people are not going to understand how someone can be obsessed with it. So if trading is how you want to pay your bills and your friends have got a problem with that, don't tell them!

I try to make sure I minimize my time obsessing over trading by giving plenty of quality time to what is real in this world: friends, music, travel, reading, maybe the spirit...

Face it: Life is bloody short, spending too much of it in front of a computer monitor is a waste. Fine if you can pay the bills by doing just that. But when you're a worm-eaten corpse X years from now, it will be good to recall the mountains you climbed, the friends you enjoyed and not the hours you spent stuck in front of a computer.

Just my two cents...

#41     Feb 1, 2003
  2. I'm thinking it's going to be a bit hard to recall those things when I'm a worm-eaten corpse. :D

#42     Feb 1, 2003
  3. man

man

redart
    I would meditate for an hour, go to the next shop to get me a cup of tea and smile at myself:

"what a life. up and down and in and out. in the moment of my very last breath, I would regret most what I did not dare to do. so let's see what's the next scene in this play I call "life". I won't give up 'daring'."

I can highly recommend meditation. I had a situation with my girlfriend some years ago, where she had quite some emotional stress and constantly tried to fight me. One night we YELLED for two hours on the phone, and I did not even know why. I was out of voice, completely out of energy but managed to sit for meditation. After I had finished I was constantly smiling - I had completely forgotten that we had quarreled - literally! When I tried to recall what we were talking about, I could not. My mind refused to turn back to that. My consciousness was not willing to get into it again.

Blue collar, white collar, whatever race. We all will die. And in this very moment it does not matter whether you were a beggar or a king. The only thing that will count will be how you feel when you remember this life. Are you content with it or not. Can you close your eyes facing another journey or will you be attached to all your posession that the end of this life will make you grieve, facing all this - loss.

You are very true to yourself. And you have strength. The track record of your life tells that quite clearly. You will make it. You will.

peace

#43     Feb 1, 2003
  4. I agree.

#44     Feb 1, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

Well,

I have never given the thought that it happens, otherwise I would wake up everyday in a sweat paralysed with fear.

But if it happens...get another stake, what else?

nitro

#45     Feb 1, 2003
  6. When I first started trading (25 years ago) I consistently LOST $$$. Blew out my account over and over. I was trying to hit Home Runs, I needed the money for rent, bills, etc...

I quit trading for years and ventured into other business.

I made several millions thru Real Estate and retired at age 40 :D

When I started trading again I realized just how good I really was. The difference is that I placed way too much pressure on myself, not enough Capital, needing money to pay rent, etc...

Now I have a much larger trading account, NO pressure to make $$$, and if I were to Blow out my account, I could wire additional money to cover any margin calls.

In addition, I have the latest Technology, computers, etc...

It is more like a Game now than a Livelyhood. I can work full or part time, I do more Swing trades, go for Singles, and I really don't care if I make money this year or not.

Trading is so much easier now.

Good Luck

#46     Feb 2, 2003
  7. You're way too ethereal for me.

#47     Feb 2, 2003
  8. man is basically saying "chill out, take a deep breath, smile, then get back to the game"

#48     Feb 2, 2003

9. maybe you can get something out of this.

7 years ago i was miserable. just plain miserable. i hated my business although i made good money and worked at home so i could see my children everyday. i didnt like my wife, hated my in-laws, resented people around me, etc. i got pissed off when a friends told me about "cherry" assignemnts they received - and i didnt really want to do the work anyway! i didnt really like where i lived and believed that if i just moved to the mountains, everything would be fine. i believed if i could just get rid of my bitch of a wife, id be swinging single again and happy.

eventually, i was forced to look at MYSELF, although i did get divorced, but im on very friendly terms with my ex-wife and her huband. i ended up enjoying and thriving in my business. i made twice the revenues with essentially the same limited overhead. i stopped working for assholes and stopped taking assignments that were "money burners." guess what: just doing those two things really increased my income - the more selective i became, the more people wanted me to do their work - go figure! i started referring the overflow to buddies. i moved next door and i still see my children everyday. im becoming financially independent and actually i already am on a small scale. how did i do it? Prozac! - hey, just kidding. the point is, very little changed in my life except for me. truth! evolving into a FT trader for me entails first becoming finanancially independent - im a little like bob/cathy (i dont want to be the scared money and have to trade for a living - although (disclaimer) i dont singe pubes to cover living expenses and dont want to either - but i would if thats what it took).

so, my advice (FWIW) is to stop looking at (down on) others and take a look at changing yourself.

one more thing - GOOD LUCK!

#49     Feb 2, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

WTG!

The greatest truth on this Earth as far as human beings are concerned is that most everything is in your head.

Jus read a book like

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-3725351-1839302?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

and you begin to see how much brain affects "reality." The other side is the way we grew up. Shedding all this crap will allow one to "come back to the same place, and know that place for the first time."

nitro

#50     Feb 2, 2003