What will Obama "Change"? What particular "Hope" does he offer?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by achilles28, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Actually I didn't take a position on it, you did. I just mentioned that as a general rule states that are governed by Republicans have lower education scores than states that are not governed by Republicans.

But just a math point, your premise would depend of what percentage of the population each comprises.

No dispute on the exit poll, I'm confident that you're right. I just reached slightly different conclusions from your data.

That people with different values say different things to pollsters when they're discussing themselves.

#51     Aug 27, 2008
  2. So therefore the Democrats are right about conscienable minimum wage laws?

Some are, of course. But perhaps your view might be being clouded by reading sources with an interest in biasing you, such as Michelle Malkin?

#52     Aug 27, 2008
  3. When Bush was Governor of Texas, someone introduced a Patient's Bill of Rights Bill.

Bush fought such a bill tooth and nail as Texas governor.

When it passed, he vetoed it even though it was introduced by a Republican.

Then when that didn't look like it was going to succeed in killing it, "he had his insurance commissioner draft into law some of the less controversial bits of the bill -- like letting women choose gynecologists as their primary-care doctors -- but constantly opposed a patient's right to sue an HMO over coverage denied that resulted in adverse health effects."

Then when it passed with this right somehow intact with a vetoproof majority, "he had his legislative aide, Vance McMahan, do everything he could to sabotage the bill, to the point that Republican legislators complained on the floor of the Texas Senate. Then, faced with a vetoproof majority, Bush refused to sign the same bill.

Then after it passed without his signature, no less, he took credit for it and went on tv and told everybody how he supported it and helped pass this -- and then when he ran for president he took credit for it again.

Now, where I live we refer to this as being a world class shitbag.

#53     Aug 27, 2008

4. Actually I've never read anything by Malkin. I merely searched for an election result map by county and it came up on her site.

And yea I have no problems with wage laws on the municipal level. I see little wisdom in Fargo and New York City being subject to the same pay levels though.

#54     Aug 27, 2008

5. Well we completely mis-understand each other because I wasn't claiming that at all.

#55     Aug 27, 2008
  6. Sounds logical as the cost of living is different.

So now we've found some common ground, perhaps we can look at statistics and find common solutions.

For example, we could look at each candidate's policies and see which ones would have greater benefits (or the candidates themselves and decide which may have a more solid grasp of issues.

Because, in my opinion, philosophically Obama is more socially conservative than he's letting on. As evidence, look at the way he's raising his kids.

#56     Aug 27, 2008
    #57     Aug 28, 2008
  8. TGregg

TGregg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhH2q6h7_Ow&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhH2q6h7_Ow&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#58     Aug 28, 2008
    #59     Aug 28, 2008
  10. Tgregg -- Iran certainly does not pose a serious threat to the US.

You know which country does? Saudi Arabia, where 17 of the 19 hijackers came from.

And the Republicans' response has been to (quite literally) hold the Saudi Prince's hand.

#60     Aug 28, 2008