What will happen to those who got expensive student loans to get worthless degrees?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by latinotrader, Dec 19, 2010.

1. if you think we are going hyper-inflationary then it'd be a better trade to just get long some kind of commodity with a bit of leverage, say 125% long silver or copper or some type of food (coffee and cocoa i believe are already planted in a way that they are doomed as crops in the medium term anyways). not sure short student loans is the best trade in that scenario.

i was pointing out a good trade for just the lost couple decades we will face coming up as people realize there is no hope for many people to ever pay off their student loans, and also denies them the right to buy a home or anything else that needs a loan for it while they are trapped by their inescapable student loans.

#11     Dec 19, 2010
  2. Yeah, that's what I'm doing now: trading the dollar weakness through various commodities and what not. However, I don't like having such heavy exposure to commodities volatility for long term plays. I'm looking for some other candidates for diversification.

Got any local bank candidates in mind with heavy exposure to student loans? I'd make this bet, but the problem is that banks will have several diversified sources of income from other various loans. I'd have to isolate a particular lender with excess exposure to student debt to really, truly capitalize on some future fiasco.

#12     Dec 19, 2010
  3. i haven't looked into it at all really was just thinking of where to take advantage of the situation. if you did some research you could find outside of a major metropolitan area an area with 5-6 private liberal arts schools within like 20 miles of each other. then you could try and search as if you were a student at one of those schools for who gives the loans~ i don't really know but if you could figure out which banks advertise to the students i'm sure those would be the local banks that will falter.

i'm a trader though i don't actually invest in long-term ideas like this, so i'm only help in providing untested theory on this long of a time frame. i am 100% cash each night

#13     Dec 19, 2010
  4. At some point that could be a great short. I think I'd wait to see some kind of actual legislation to forgive loans though.

Let's face it, having half your voters in 6 figure debt to predatory lending when they were 18, facing far more restrictive debtor laws than grown adults with jobs, is not a politically tenable position for the long-term.

#14     Dec 20, 2010
  5. Got you guys beat by 2 years lol.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134767&highlight=slm

Still agree with everyone here. If things get worse, they're toast. With 10% unemployment and huge loans, there's not a chance they are going to be paying them off in full.

exactly

#15     Dec 20, 2010
  6. zdreg

zdreg

but when are there going to be layoffs of government workers who sap off the productivity of the private sector? why not fire 25% of them?

#16     Dec 20, 2010
  7. wow, you would really screw these people ?!?!? Looks like US is really cut throat place. Every day fight for survival.

Is it possible that place can fall that far that quick !?!?

People tend not to do that as it is below their level. I guess thats why they dont get really rich.

There is another level of living in luxury : able to afford to say no to these types of trades. Yes costs money but dont trade humanity for paper.

#17     Dec 20, 2010
  8. Illum

Illum

Can't default on these, and they will garnish wages. What will happen is they will pay them. The worst is these online degrees with big loans. Expensive toilet paper.

Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)

For Soldiers and officers who have an existing student loan obligation at the time of enlistment in the Guard, the Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) may pay up to $50,000 for certain jobs, with a six- or eight-year enlistment as a member of a unit.

In addition, current Guard members who extend their enlistment contract for a minimum period of six years are also eligible for this program, provided they meet certain requirements, including a qualifying score on the Armed Forces Qualifying Test and being in a valid Military Occupational Specialty

#18     Dec 20, 2010
  9. #19     Dec 20, 2010
  10. BSAM

BSAM

My bet is that they will get a job in another field or starve to death. Most likely, the former.

#20     Dec 20, 2010