What will happen to Big 3 after "cash for clunker" expires?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Pascal

Pascal

Short Autozone now. AZO. Thank me later.

#21     Aug 10, 2009
  2. The next logical move would be to return to some form of low financing. 10 year loans on new cars would place consumers in a feasiable monthly payment as long as the warranty is there. The Europeans have that option now. The only other event would be a technological breakthrough but in these times it is highly unlikely.

Akuma

#22     Aug 11, 2009
  3. I wouuld disagree with this. I just got a job at a dealership and have been training for the past 2 weeks. I think there are probably 50 clunkers parked there. I would say very few of them would be cars poor college kids drive. In fact the first sale that I trained on last week was a father clunkering in an old Bronco and buying a small car for his son to drive to college. So instead of him getting probably 15 MPG, he’s getting close to 30. My first car was a $5000 Saturn. I don’t think I know anybody under 30 who drives anything bigger than a car.
    My generation is already on the hook for your $50 trillion debt, what’s another $3 billion?

#23     Aug 14, 2009
  4. Why? Don't the same groups own the cars and oil?

Does Wal-Mart make more money off their cookware or their groceries?

#24     Aug 14, 2009
  5. The inventory will be restocked as manufacturers resume production, which is necessary in factories in the U.S., Japan, Korea, Germany, Canada, China, etc., or the unemployment rate will grow even higher.

It's a pattern that won't be broken because it can't be broken, especially with unemployment skyrocketing.

#25     Aug 15, 2009
  6. MattF

MattF

already is, especially with the more popular models sold...production has to be 'ramped up' to meet 'demand'

what happened to all the cars on the large lots and barges? :confused:

#26     Aug 15, 2009
  7. #27     Aug 18, 2009
  8. Sorry to dissapoint you but most dealers right now have plenty of room on their lots. The Chevy Equinox is pretty much all sold out now. The Camaro’s are being bought with no test drive for delivery in no less than 2 months. The Volt will probably be the biggest car of next year.

Don’t worry though, you neo con globalists who hate companies like GM that actually treat their employees well and manufacture in the US will still win out over the long run. What’s great about this program is it proves what an utter joke supply side economics is. They gave them what, 25 billion and then they still filed bankruptcy. Now just 3 billion in demand side stimulus has these companies ramping up production.

#28     Aug 18, 2009
  9. GM to Gradually Remove Company Logo From Vehicles

General Motors Co. plans to cease putting its corporate "GM" logo on the side of its vehicles in the coming model years following decision by the company's management team to put more emphasis on individual brands instead of the parent company.

GM spokesman Terry Rhadigan said the decision to remove the logo – known as the GM "Mark of Excellence" – was made earlier in the month by GM's newly-formed executive committee. Mr. Rhadigan said the logos will be "gradually" phased out starting in the 2010 model year.

The auto maker earlier in the year filed bankruptcy protection and emerged quickly thanks to a $50 billion funding commitment from the U.S. government. GM has in the past year decided to sell or kill four of the eight brands, including Hummer, Pontiac, Saab and Saturn. The remaining brands are Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and GMC.

The strategy to more acutely focus marketing efforts on individual vehicle brands, while deemphasizing their connection to GM, is being spearheaded by Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, who recently was moved from a product development role in order to head marketing efforts. Mr. Lutz said in recent weeks that the company needs to do a better job of focusing the public's attention on brand names because many Americans do not immediately associate those brand names with the company that went bankrupt.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125115331402254991.html

#30     Aug 25, 2009