What was your investment/trading gains in 2017?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by learner88, Jan 1, 2018.

1. DTB2

DTB2

Similar, +27% in retirement, 15% in trading account. Trading account was down early and has come on in the last 1/4.

We'll see next year if the trading account improves otherwise it all goes into longer term stuff.

Good luck to all in 2018!

#11     Jan 1, 2018
  2. +31%, about +3% per month, one month ( June) down 4% due to emotional trading...

#12     Jan 1, 2018
  3. sss12

sss12

+28% investment account, global ETF portfolio.
    +15% trading. Systematic with desc/manual entry/exit. Have to get better at taking the loss when indicated. No rationalising, justifying holding.

#13     Jan 1, 2018
    Cuddles likes this.
  4. Cuddles

Cuddles

Hard to be a calculating unemotional robot when bleeding or being greedy.

#14     Jan 1, 2018
    sss12 likes this.
  5. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

I make this post with a "what's possible" heir to it, nothing else. I'm not interested in flames, critiques, or the standard ET bs that will likely be incited. I will merely ignore any such comments or discussion. Make all the juxtaposing, comparison, and analysis as you will. Elsewhere is a thread about Einhorn making only 2% in 2017 if that is more agreeable to your beliefs.

I trade futures, intraday only, meaning flat end-of-day.
    Primary instruments NQ, YM, RTY. Some currency, gold, and copper. All intraday, flat end-of-day.

2017 account growth... 140%, an engineered amount which includes 2017 distribution amount.
    2017 account withdraws (as pct of 2017 *starting* value)... 650%, also engineered with SS tax cap in mind.

Best day money-wise... Dec 1, 2017
    7 worst days money-wise... max 1200 daily loss... a string of losing trades or a single trade gone wrong with me asleep at the switch. There were no "black swan" exchange outages or otherwise uncontrollable trading events for me during 2017.
    46 total (including worst) losing days money-wise. Note: I consider a losing day as less than 100 net.

Overall, 2017 was a so-so year. Lack of volatility in the US indexes is the bane of my livelihood.

Here's to the return of volatility in 2018, and a prosperous new year for all!!

#15     Jan 1, 2018
    sysdevel99 likes this.
  6. Cuddles

Cuddles

Clarify withdraws for me? To me it reads like you spent 5x what you gained this year? Also <100 net considered a loss, is that percent or dollars?, with only 46 losing days it wouldn't make sense for it to be percent based on your numbers.

#16     Jan 1, 2018
  7. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

<<< Clarify withdraws for me? To me it reads like you spent 5x what you gained this year?

I trade through an entity. I earn W2 wages. The entity generates 100% of it's income through trading as described.

<<< Also <100 net considered a loss, is that percent or dollars?, with only 46 losing days it wouldn't make sense for it to be percent based on your numbers.

US Dollars, net of costs. Less than 100 bucks is a losing day (to/for me).

#17     Jan 1, 2018
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

Still not entirely sure in the withdraw bit but thanks for answering.

#18     Jan 1, 2018
  9. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Its the word withdraw that's likely confusing. It's not technically withdraw, it's wages paid, directly (withdrawn) from the trading account. Trading account is swept to a minimum value regularly, it is not a store of cash other than what is necessary to conduct trading as described.

#19     Jan 1, 2018
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

May I ask why you do this? Pay yourself a w2 wage. The entity is either a pass through and you still pay taxes or it's not and it still pays taxes. What's your advantage in this structure.

#20     Jan 1, 2018