What was the random entry/chandelier exit study?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 1a2b3cppp, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Sounds like someone from the old school. Did you visit the trader club site back then?

#11     Mar 9, 2011
  2. +1

I will add to this that have also never seriously traded.

#12     Mar 9, 2011
  3. That was a useful post. I don't have access to any backtesting software atm AND I was more throwing it out there to trigger some discussion and ideas.

#13     Mar 9, 2011
  4. danielc1

danielc1

Yes... I also went to some workshops from chuck and van. Priceless information in the old days... Some things are still working:cool:

#14     Mar 9, 2011
  5. Nice, lots of talent there for a while. I don't see mark brown and mark johnson and some of the those guys anywhere any more. Some are still on the Omega List. Most people don't realize places like ET and other forums are decendants of TraderClub.

Keep the faith.

#15     Mar 9, 2011
  6. MGJ

MGJ

Here are a couple more images from that thread; it appears that the Bollinger %B entry was quite a bit better than random entry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#16     Mar 9, 2011
  7. Looks not very good

Looks better.

#17     Mar 9, 2011
  8. I think what people don't understand is that the market is sometimes range bound, sometimes trending, and sometimes random.

Now you may ask why would someone randomly buy or sell a stock. Some people may buy a stock because it has a cool name. They may flip a coin. They may be just be plain stupid.

For example, I was once long a stock that was being bought out for cash and the spread was $ 8. One of the reasons for the large spread was that ones of the funds that does arbitrage blew itself up and could not close the spread.

I have seen stocks where they declare bankruptcy and tell everyone that the stock will be worthless, but it still trades for over $ .25/sh. Now in time, the stock was worthless.

Also, another aspect where stupid people vote against there own benefits is whenever you see a poor person vote for a Republican who is saying they will make cuts on poor people.

#18     Mar 9, 2011
  9. No wonder why in my school probability & statistics was the hardest course. When math professors wanted to get laid they made it a requirement for marketing. Some old names have never understood probability & statistics. It if funny that a lot of people actually paid and still pay people who do not understand math.

This world is full of fools...

#19     Mar 11, 2011
  10. danielc1

danielc1

My English is not so good, but are you calling me a fool with you reply? :D

#20     Mar 11, 2011