What Was The Most Simple Edge That Worked For You?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by PCanyon, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Why would one divulge a legitimate edge and have it arbed like the Money Supply Trade?

--RS

#11     Mar 28, 2006
  2. landboy

landboy

IPOs are always underpriced, well, not always, but if the underwriters know what the hell they're doing you'll get a great deal if you get a slice pre-issue. Sell it at the market for a quick profit, 5 to 10 percent on a thousand shares...

#12     Mar 28, 2006
  3. cnms2

cnms2

In order: Money management & Trendlines.

#13     Mar 28, 2006
  4. the likelihood of many people tradin' the same stock at the same time is so thin that the implication are negligable considering how many companies report during the same day. further on, many things and set ups are obvious to me but might not be for somebody else. also there's slightly more to it, it takes time to refine the approach.
    also even though I divulged this info, that by the way I think is really nothin' special, there will be zero impact because stocks have behaved like that since earnings report were born and will continue to do so until there are institutions willin' to buy them on every single qt....a retail trader ain't gonna make a dent into news stocks intraday movements.

#14     Mar 28, 2006
  5. "What Was The Most Simple Edge That Worked For You?

What edge worked for you that was really simple?"

Was and Worked, I believe, are the key words.

:D

#15     Mar 28, 2006
  6. Buy stocks that are going up

#16     Mar 28, 2006
  7. Htrader

Htrader Guest

All it takes is for one aggressive hedge fund to pick up on your idea and completely wipe it out. True trading edges are scarce in this market and they generally do not support much liquidity. I have personally stumbled upon some profitable strategies and absorbed all the size they had. As for the people who used to be making money doing the same trades... too bad.

#17     Mar 28, 2006
  8. danoXP

danoXP

PCanyon, were you trading the SP pre-NYSE open on Black Monday in 1987? I believe it opened in Chicago down 7% off Friday's close ... then, the eye of the storm hit ...

Were you there?

To stay relevant with the forum, a market edge that has somewhat deteriorated was to play the ZN or ZB "impulse ring" on the monthly payrolls numbers by waiting for the announcement and then taking action proportional to the market reaction.

1) Announcement:
    2) at 15 seconds enter scalp with market (only if tight bid/ask)
    3) cover scalp at about 5 minute mark
    4) drink a cup of coffee and watch the market recover - try to relax
    5) at 12-15 minute mark re-enter long/short fading the current move (last 5-7 minutes)
    6) let bake for rest of day, cover position for weekend terrorist event risk before leaving for weekend

(this recipe still works on events like today's FOMC announcement)

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=958786
    (ex. payrolls number 2004 time frame)

#18     Mar 28, 2006
  9. landboy

landboy

A good one for today!! The Fed raised, but that was a forgone conclusion, the key was the language within the text. SOOO, there was a little lag time between announcement and the market reaction. If you can read fast, and I mean speed read and digest quickly, you may have been able to beat most traders to the punch. I was sitting in front of the Bloomy today, I think there was a lag of about ten seconds between announcement and move, which doesn't happen if all the market is concerned about is "the number"

#19     Mar 28, 2006
  10. volente_00

volente_00

1. T day theory

2. 10:30 reversal trades

3. Fed flip flop theory

All 3 still work quite well.

#20     Mar 28, 2006