What was the ***last*** thing you had to master before becoming profitable?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Kovacs, May 27, 2009.

1. For one of my edges, I backtested the MM scheme you mention and it had bad resultz. It was better to increase size during drawdown or just keep it the same.

:eek:

-not a Guru

#201     Oct 27, 2013
  2. kut2k2

kut2k2

All the math (e.g., the Kelly formulae) says to do it the way I posted.

And this guy apparently agrees:

#202     Oct 27, 2013
  3. :)

False assumptions = GIGO, no matter how good the math

MM when proving out a new edge != MM with an established edge

:eek:

#203     Oct 29, 2013
  4. fear of losing it all

#204     Oct 29, 2013
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I don't know what acrary has said but I do know there's hundreds of different ways to use position size management.

I've been using "dynamic" (different) position size for different types of price action scenarios very effectively for the past +15 years. The word "dynamic" to me implies I don't use the "exact same size" every trading day or every trade as if the markets (price action) never changes.

Markets are always changing and one size fits all via using the same position size is poor money management. I say money management because position size management is a sub-category under money management.

Therefore, when I mastered position size management...its probably the last big thing I had to master or its a tie between it and mastering stress (stress management) while trading and letting go of that stress when the trading day has completed. Simply, leave the stress at the office to prevent it from sabotaging the personal life.

one size does not fit all

#205     Oct 30, 2013
  6. Trade Management.

#206     Nov 2, 2013
  7. trading is an art, not science.

people are mislead byindicators, TA,... they think in trading there is some science there.

they back tested, try to assign a probablity about an setup/event, if that setup's probability is greater than 50%, then they think they get an edge.

I was mislead by that too. since mybackground is artificial intelligence and software engineering.
    this training hurt my trading, make me treat trading like science.

when I realized trading is an art, not science. I start to do trading very practically, or justfollow common sense. for example, buy low and sell high. treat each trade individually, my aim is win almost each time, not try to win statistically through a system.

of course, it is difficult to define what is low and high, all based on gut feeling.in another word, scientific way to describe high and low.

so I become a discretionary trader, all follow my gut feeling. I do not back test, I do not generalize, I get rid of the habit of writing journals.

view trading as an exploring activity, when I feel something worth trading, I do it. I do not view trading as a regular career type activity.

I raed through martin schwartz/jessie livermore's stuff many times. but I follow Martin's more, I donot think Jessise livemore's is good, he always make conclusions (that is not good).

BE PRACTICAL BE PRACTICAL is very critical, the only thingh matters to me is make money nomatter what strategy I use.

I donotcare about position size/trade management/setup/ideas, I am very practical, myonly aim is make money.

#207     Nov 6, 2013
    MaxPastukhov likes this.
  8. people come to trading often forget their goal:

to make money

not try to optimize a strategy
    not try to develop a system
    not try to find ways to control their emotions
    not try to design rules which a trader can not follow
    not try to write journals

very simple

make money

very practical