What was the largest one month percentage gain of the sp500 ever?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by poorboy, Mar 8, 2017.

1. poorboy

poorboy

2. JackRab

JackRab

Xela, ET180 and Chubbly like this.
  3. poorboy

poorboy

4. poorboy

poorboy

5. JackRab

JackRab

?

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  6. xandman

xandman

I saw this in one of your posts. Which shows some concept of the market, aside from the place you buy groceries.

Is poorboy your trolling alias? WTH! Your my first ignore ever. And, I actually hate some people on ET.

7. JackRab

JackRab

What is with this @poorboy? He must be a troll indeed....

Xela and Chubbly like this.
  8. poorboy

poorboy

I'm a little confused. I don't see where I have been trolling anyone. Thanks for the complement about having some concept of the market. Regarding the alias. MAN! I'm thinking about making a new account. I can't hardly post anything without some knuckle dragger making the same tired comments everyone else has made. There was one guy that said something original. I liked the post.

"I'm just a poor boy. Easy come, easy go..." -Queen. Its a good philosophy to stay modest and not get too up tight. In the past I've made so much money you would never believe it. But, between organized crime and irresponsible government I actually am relatively poor now; a distasteful coincidence.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

You missed the "Nobody loves me." line...As for the answer:

I only checked the charts for 1 decade but it was about 12% in 2011 October. There are 2 longer monthly bars on the decade chart, but they were at much higher value, so %-wise they were still less, I guess, I am too lazy to do the math....(2015 October is the longest monthly bar in the last decade)

What do I get? Hey, you know what? Here is the 25 years monthly chart, do the math for yourself:

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp?show=&insttype=Index&symb=spx&x=49&y=16&time=20&startdate=1/4/1999&enddate=11/2/2015&freq=3&compidx=aaaaa:0&comptemptext=&comp=none&ma=1&maval=9&uf=0&lf=2&lf2=256&lf3=0&type=4&style=320&size=4&timeFrameToggle=false&compareToToggle=false&indicatorsToggle=false&chartStyleToggle=false&state=15

1998 October looks like the winner, it went lower first then rebounced 180 points from 910ish. What % that is?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  10. comagnum

comagnum

April 1933 - S&P 500 up 42.2% (source traders almanac)

#10     Mar 8, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.