What Was the Bullmarket Like?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Corso482, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Gepard

Gepard

I remember the day of the IPO of RHAT.....:eek:

Anyone has some great charts of those days, preferably one minute, to post here? At that time I did not bother about....

Also, since at that time I was not interested in futures, some charts of ES and NQ, please, just to suffer a bit more...?

#41     Jan 23, 2003
  2. DT-waw

DT-waw

Yeah, if someone has intraday charts of Nasdaq stocks or futures from 1999/2000 please post them here!

Good old days... will not return... :(

#42     Jan 23, 2003
  3. gaj

gaj

htrader - and if you go backwards (from 1920), you can find more of the 'roughly 30-40 years' happening. right around 1900, and i think the 1860s, as well...

so, what i've told people asking when the bull market is coming...

"when you keep asking me", when no one is buy and hold...

and in another 15-20 years will be a 'start'.

#43     Jan 23, 2003
  4. gaj

gaj

oh, yeah, one other memory...

i shorted QCOM *at the top*! 720.

i covered about 660 though a few minutes later. and i 'only' shorted 200 shares.

someone else would know better, but i believe CMRC had a 3-5 point spread when it was trading about 580ish...

i expect the net 'mania' won't happen in our lifetimes, but a bull market will come in 30 years. unless i live another 70 years...but i sure won't be trading then.

#44     Jan 23, 2003
  5. rs7

rs7

#45     Jan 23, 2003
  6. I was an office assistant while all this began and was being paid around $300.00 a day to be an office assistant and after a couple of weeks I noticed that this bull run was a license to print money so I went to family and acquired about 5k to trade with. Needless to say I was on full margin day in and day out making well over 1k a day than had some good days where I made close to 10k. I remember one trade on LOCK that co. that produced some sort of gun control mechanism and clinton made some announcement on gun control and there product for some state. Well I bought 5000 shares @ 2 1/4 and sold at 4 and change, I was 23 at the time and to make that kind of money was just unheard of. In short I was the man and the women god I can only begin to tell ya that it was a 5 star year that I hope we will see again but doubt. Thank god for one trader that was trading out of the same office as me, he told me that it was all about to come to an end and that I should walk. Well I did with about 70k. I picked up a job at the merc and learned futures then became a broker and have lost those terrible spending habits. But to answer your question....it was so unbelievable that I still can't seem to fathom how it all came about, maybe it was timing or maybe it was just about who I knew but in the end it was awesome while it lasted and I wouldn't give it back for the world. I learned more about human greed and emotions that it is where I earned my Ph.D. in human emotions. If I ever see that type of bull market again I will go balls out until I have fulfilled my greed than walk and buy an island or something.

Sorry you missed it, twas quite the site.

Regards,

Comp

#46     Jan 23, 2003
  7. I think one of the greatest one day non-IPO debut runs ever, without the real possibility of being stopped out, had to have been achieved by Yahoo. Early morning it was announced Yahoo was going into the S&P. It was a first for this kind of stock. Yahoo literally was bought all day long. I think it was a 20 point+ gain. Within a week the stock had gone from $270ish to $350ish.

Who could ever forget Rambus. Within three weeks, the stock went from $70ish range to $450++++++++++++

How about Commerce One putting on one of the most amazing pre-split runs. $280ish range to over $525++++

Than there was ICGE. What a run. It ran up nearly 60% in a week pre-split & than post split pulled another double as it broke the $100 mark within three days. Amazing.

Best IPO debut had to have been Juniper. Not a heck allot of downside from the opening day & second day. THe range was $90ish to an opening of $100ish. Within a week this bad boy was in the $150 range and went on a huge run. Had a 2-1 split breaking $250 mark. Within a few months, back over $300ish and announced a 3-1 split. THat summer again running over $220ish with yet ANOTHER 2-1 split.

GNET had to have been one of the traders favorite. This thing was discovered in late winter 1999. Went from like the $5ish range over to $100 bucks in a week. Two whopping stock splits 6 months later and the thing was still running hard.

Worst IPO debut was PALM. Bidders hand slapped themselves all the way up to $130ish and than PALM opened and fell flat on its face. Within a week tanking to the $70ish range. Related to this, COMS put on a HUGE HUGE run b4 the spin off of PALM.

Another notable run was Oracle in the fall 1999. It basically doubled in less than three months. FOr a stock with such a huge float that was a pretty big deal. Remember, all of those wonder IPO's debuted with ridiculously small floats. It did not take that much to make these suckers move.

#47     Jan 23, 2003
  8. sammybea

sammybea

Simply put.. 50k into 1.2m trading those lovely four letter words. Now only 1 four letter word can descibe the whole lot. :mad:

#48     Jan 23, 2003
  9. Dustin

Dustin

I loved trading those IPO's on opening day. Usually around 12pm est you could watch the mm's jockying for position right before the open. They may start around 80, and within 5 minutes they are all up biding around 130-150 (RHAT/JNPR for example). All that really mattered was where the underwriter was positioned. A few times they would open up there and immediately tank to around 100 within a couple minutes! Then the UW would step up to start supporting and before you know it the damn thing would be back up to where it started...all within the first 30 mins.

I want a time machine :(

#49     Jan 23, 2003
  10. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

There was a bull market in shorts for the last few years.
    Only if you could recognize it. Most did not.
    Right now we have a pancake for a market. Very discouraging.

#50     Jan 23, 2003