What wars is Mitt planning if he wins?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by noob_trad3r, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Your the one that posted the 350 billion dollar wwII story. As far as "cherry picked crap", allow me to say it again; 350 billion dollars in 1939 would be equal to fifteen and a half Trillion dollars today.

PLEASE! Cherry pick any of your own crap and show me that I am wrong.
    And AGAIN, I am not interested in what the government has you believing.
    If you're disputing the price of gas, gold or homes - look it up. Or, come up with your own comparisons. Should be fairly simple.

#31     Oct 16, 2012
  2. piezoe

piezoe

Well not only did folks used to think that, but they were right. What happened in WWII in the U.S. economy is a prime example of spending your way out of recession. However, what you spend on is critical to success with this approach. Furthermore, during boom times you must pay down debt and not acquire still more debt. The Bush administration got this horribly wrong, they increased spending tremendously and at the same time cut taxes for the wealthiest. All when we were not in a recession. This is the opposite of what Keynes would advise.

#32     Oct 16, 2012

3. A dollar just ain't what it used to be.
    Our inflation calculator will tell you the relative buying power of a dollar in the United States between any two years from 1914-2012.

It will also calculate the rate of inflation during the time period you choose.

We determine the value of a dollar using the Consumer Price Index from December of the previous year. All calculations are approximate.

Fun fact: In 2007, the inflation rate was 4.08%. This was higher than any year since 1990. In 2008, the inflation rate was 0.09%, the lowest rate since 1954.

$1.00 in 1939 had the same buying power as $16.12 in 2012.

Annual inflation over this period was 3.88%.

#33     Oct 16, 2012
  4. Whoever we elect president during the next cycle will not have the luxury of choice in the war department. The only choice will be whether we fight as a military, or as a police force.
    The well heeled will make money at it either way, and the not so well heeled will do the bleeding either way. Business as usual.

#34     Oct 16, 2012
  5. Yea, I read all that Crap too. You should be aware that your inflation rate (Uncle Ben's inflation rate) does not include FOOD, Energy or Housing and is overweight on wages. Therefore, you and your web page have came up with exactly what he would like you to believe. This number might be significant if you are un-employed, homeless, standing in a Soup Line and don't own a car. Is that You?
    With regards to "Cherry Picking", it's interesting you are unable to come up with any of your own price comparisons to support your nonsense. If I truly wanted to cherry-pick I would have used Health Care, Education, or, better yet, let's use the total tax burden of today and compare it to 1939.
    Since you have not disputed the fact that in 1939 you could buy an Ounce of Gold for $35.00, lets look at a couple of other things you could have purchased for $35.00.
    In 1939;
    $35.00 would have bought you an old clunker of a Automobile in 1939,
    $35.00 would have bought you 2 Nice Suits in 1939,
    $35.00 would have bought you about 20 Bags of Groceries in 1939,
    $35.00 would have paid a month's Rent on a pretty Nice House in 1939.
    TODAY;
    An Old Clunker of a Automobile costs about $1,750.00
    2 Nice suits costs about $1,750.00
    20 Bags of Groceries costs about $1,750.00
    You can rent a pretty Nice House for about $1,750.00
    And, Lo & Behold, you can buy an Ounce of Gold for about $1,750.00

If you multiply $35.00 x 50 you will come up with about $1,750.00 (a long way from your $16.00 multiplier)

Would you like to talk Apples, Oranges, Hair Cuts, Rice & Beans? Your Utility bills? You'll probably have the best of luck with your wages when compared to 1939. Go ahead and cherry-pick, show me something aside from an absurd web page.
    You are right on one point though, "A dollar just ain't what it used to be."

With your Political Math everything mentioned would now costs $564.20

#35     Oct 16, 2012
  6. DEAR Free Thinker:
    Don't give up! Surely if you were to brainstorm with your Occupy Buddies you could come up with SOMETHING from 1939 that is ONLY 16 times more expensive today.
    I'M ROOTIN' FOR YA!

#36     Oct 16, 2012
  7. piezoe

piezoe

Although you'll have to admit this calculation is subject to large error because the method of computing the consumer price index has changed rather dramatically between 1939 and 2012. Probably a better site to go to for this kind of data is John Williams site, but you might have to be a subscriber to access what you need.

#37     Oct 17, 2012
  8. LEAPup

LEAPup

And they're right. The new deal was a joke.

#38     Oct 17, 2012
  9. This is what passes for brilliant right-wing foreign policy.

This place is great, one righty is crazier and more ignorant than the next.

#39     Oct 17, 2012