"What type of trader are you ?"

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Wallace, Mar 27, 2008.

1. axehawk

axehawk

You are an Independent Trader!

If the markets interest you, you'll probably work to develop a logical explanation for how they work. This is because you love theoretical ideas and abstract concepts (in fact, much more so than people interactions). This can be great for trading success, if you don't get too theoretical. This type of trader profile suggests that you value knowledge above all else. As a result, you'll be constantly generating new ideas about the market or trying to disprove the ideas that you learn from others...

One of your Trading Strengths

You can quickly determine if a new style of trading or system will fit well with your personality.

One of your Trading Challenges

Your trading could dominate your time and you could become socially isolated, which in turn could upset others, particularly if you have a spouse.

#21     Mar 27, 2008

2. Interesting stuff - here's my results.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Strategic Trader

You probably live in a world of ideas and strategic planning. This is because you value intelligence, knowledge, and being competent. These are great qualities for a trader/investor. In fact, you have the three core qualities that are essential to being a great trader (i.e. you have the ability to see the big picture, new possibilities and connections between things. You make decisions based on logic and analysis and you are decisive, orderly and do things sequentially). You have an original mind and a great drive to implement your ideas and achieve your goals. Thus, if trading success is important to you, you'll probably find a way to achieve it.

You are quick to see patterns in the market and develop a perspective that allows you to take advantage of it. Consequently, we recommend that you study what great traders typically do because, if you do, you'll probably become one of them.

You are an avid learner and thinker therefore understanding trading and trading systems will probably be something that is quite easy for you to grasp. You easily understand abstract and complex theories and can be a master of conceptual and analytical thinking.

If you become committed to trading success, you'll probably have no problem developing a business plan to help you succeed as a trader. In addition, you tend to be independent, which is an essential quality of traders, and have high standards for your performance as a trader.

As a trader, you'll probably focus on observing the markets and generating ideas and possibilities for generating profits. This is one of the primary reasons that, if you commit to it, you have the potential to be an excellent trader/investor. In addition, since you have all of the primary qualities that most of the top traders have, if you apply yourself, then your chances of success are very high.

Trading Strengths

1. Originality and drive; willingness to follow your ideas through to completion.
    2. Quickly see patterns and possibilities, with the ability to rapidly hypothesize and generate low risk trading ideas.
    3. You could probably generate a trading business plan and trading systems quite easily and naturally.
    4. Able to understand and trade in both short and long term positions.
    5. You strive to be the best and only want to associate with the best.

Trading Challenges

1. Probably so logical that you don't recognize when emotions are causing you to self-destruct.
    2. You have a strong desire to be right, even to the extent of perfectionism. This might cause you to never actually trade because you're continually trying to develop or buy better systems.
    3. You may be susceptible to the loss trap. Therefore you may not honor your stops because you want to be right about your trades.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Our best example of a strategic trader is Paul Tudor Jones. Jones has been one of the world's best hedge fund managers. And when the funds he had under management surpassed a billion dollars, he hired a coach to really teach him what we now call "top-down discipline." Today he lives by an unbelievable routine and schedule because he simply must be the best. He's never had a down year. His worst performance was in 2000, when offshore Tudor BVI Global Portfolio fund delivered 11.6%. According to Forbes, Paul Tudor Jones ranks 113 among the world's richest men.

Paul Tudor Jones is known for saying, "I'm always thinking about losing money as opposed to making money. Don't focus on making money, focus on protecting what you have"

#22     Mar 27, 2008
  3. bighog

bighog Guest

You are an Administrative Trader!

People who fit into this category have several of the qualities that make a good trader. You tend to be practical and realistic, and decisive. You move quickly to implement decisions and these are all good for trading. You love facts and what you think is concrete. You are very good at making sure that things run smoothly. As a result, you tend to be good at organizing projects and people to get things done the most efficient way possible...

You should have no problems staying with and executing a simple trading system that someone gives you and you feel confident about.

You love the details of trading system analysis and development so much but you can often be working on the wrong things. Your efforts can be misguided if you are following the wrong guidelines or advice.

Click here to learn more

Been called a lot of stuff but never administrative ..
    :eek:

#23     Mar 27, 2008
  4. LOL...I ended up "Adventurous" - whatever in the heck that means, LOL.

Hardly a trading test. I've met Tharp a few times (and his son), nice people, silly test IMO.

Don :D

#24     Mar 27, 2008
  5. jnbadger

jnbadger

Ditto for me... thought it a tad strange...

#25     Mar 27, 2008
  6. asap

asap

fun test.

i guess we all get a nice pompous title despite only just a few will survive in the long run.

:D

#26     Mar 27, 2008
  7. You have to sign up and get on a mailing list to get your "full" assessment. Note, however, that the Privacy Policy is still pending. Hmm...

#27     Mar 27, 2008
  8. gehko

gehko

You are a Planning Trader!

You tend to be decisive and to the point. You'll quickly assume leadership when it is called for by the circumstances around you. You have the ability to quickly develop and implement trading systems to meet your needs. You have the three core qualities that are essential to being a great trader (i.e. you have the ability to see the big picture, new possibilities and connections between things. You make decisions based on logic and analysis and you are decisive, orderly and do things sequentially). You can easily spot logical inefficiencies in the market and take advantage of them, especially if you are pointed in the right direction. You enjoy long-term planning and goal setting and seem to enjoy learning, expanding your knowledge and staying well-informed...

Originality and drive; willingness to follow your ideas through to completion.

Probably so logical that you don't recognize when emotions are causing you to self-destruct.

I think the trading challenge is pretty accurate. Still working on that :)

#28     Mar 27, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

Said I am "One honkin' BADASS mofo trader... should already be rich beyond my wildest dreams"...

Wonder where I went wrong...??

#29     Mar 27, 2008
  10. Oh please! LOL. Where you went wrong was not learning from me :) On a serious note I was told this once "Michael, tick for tick, dollar for dollar. You are the best trader in the country."

I don't really believe it. There are about 4 in my lifetime that I have come across that will run trade circles around me.

#30     Mar 27, 2008