what type for strategy is best to use to profit on volatility?

Discussion in 'Options' started by jgold310, May 27, 2008.

1. So you are saying the reduced gamma exposure is worth the lower Theta and increased risk of the underlying moving out of target range assuming you are not planning on modifying the trade later on? I am not trying to be confrontational. I do respect your experience and knowledge and maybe I can learn something here too.

#31     May 29, 2008
  2. The point is to isolate vega, not to gain from theta. The assumption is that the trader is predicting a decline in implied volatility, not realized vol.

#32     May 29, 2008
  3. I was just giving examples of straddles since you defined a straddle as a call and a put, which is correct but its not limited to that. “Overpriced” is really just a matter of opinion, therefore I don’t generally refer to volatility as over priced or under priced in that way.

When you sell a straddle you’re expecting implied volatility to fall, that’s the primary variable to be concerned with, not theta.

No problem, I was not really speaking in the context of repair or rolling. I was noting that if you sell longer term straddles then 2 to 4 weeks there are ways to trade around them and build a greater more profitable position. But, I do agree it’s a bit more advanced then need be for this thread, the issue was that straddles in no way should be looked at as only a 2 to 4 week position all the time.

Good Thread

#33     May 29, 2008
  4. aryhaven

aryhaven

i wouldn't recommend anyone to short straddle because there is unlimited risk on both the downside and the upside.

#34     May 29, 2008
  5. Agreed I dont think anyone suggested shorting straddles on this one.

#35     May 29, 2008
  6. Negative integer! :eek:

#36     May 29, 2008
  7. So true.

#37     May 29, 2008
  8. aryhaven

aryhaven

have any of you guys tried getting out of 100 contracts of GOOG options?

I've been waiting for 10 minutes for my order to get filled.

#38     May 29, 2008
  9. what month and strike are you looking at?

#39     May 29, 2008
  10. aryhaven

aryhaven

i'm trying to get out of GOOG JUN 08 180 PUT.

#40     May 29, 2008