What trading style is better...slow and steady..or hitting homeruns once in a while?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by gimp570, May 24, 2007.

best trading style for the long term

1. slow and steady....

65 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. Looking for the big trade.

21 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. gimp570

gimp570

For me ...i also have to take into account my lifestyle and my health....when i just keep in simple and stay light...rarely do i get upset but when i am in tons and tons of shares those giant swings drive me crazy.....make me nuts....

when looking for huge trades...there are many more ups and downs....and the downs seem much lower that the ups..

i would rather be right most of the time and just make a "little" each day..

If i can grind out a very good living with less stress/less time in front of my computer screens....it makes life more enjoyable....

"No one ever said on there death bed that they wished that they spent more time at the office"

#11     May 24, 2007
  2. gimp570

gimp570

however i do realize that "There is more than one way to skin a cat"

#12     May 24, 2007
  3. you have to do both........slow and steady is absolutely essential for the mind...........builds and maintains the confidence you need to continue trading.......slow and steady has to be your core system.......1 or 2 down days a month - no more..........position trade like 20% of your capital and go for the big homers - call it investing.

#13     May 24, 2007
  4. gimp570

gimp570

Sure Hr's come but slow and steady wins the race!!!

#14     May 24, 2007
  5. hajimow

hajimow

You usually want to try a homerun when you just lost money in a homerun attemp. You are not satisfied with slow and steady one. You just want to get your lost capital back and then maybe do slow and steady and most of the time that never happens.

#15     May 24, 2007
  6. DAX-etra DAX germany

#16     May 24, 2007
  7. Yeah, so is Ruth, and most all the other major dinger hitters..
    and they did get all the bitches..

Now you hit homeruns - you are roided up...

I guess that's where the comparison of baseball to trading ends..

#17     May 24, 2007
  8. Why not have both? Why now trade slowly and steadily while hitting a homerun once in a while? Are the two mutually exclusive? I know for me they're not. I learned to trade trading slowly and steadily, but the more slowly and more steadily I go, the more the home runs come... as long as your trading method has open ended profit targets, you'll get plenty of trades... home runs, and sometimes super homeruns - homeruns that keep going, and going, and going... but if you try to trade for home runs all the time you'll most likely not book profits enough to avoid emotional aggrivation and prolonged drawdowns.

#18     May 24, 2007
  9. If your making money thats what really matters, but a lot of people seem to have difficulty with that.

#19     May 25, 2007
  10. gimp570

gimp570

Yes....
    but the goal is to make the most money

#20     May 26, 2007