What tools are missing if I start a hedge fund today ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ramaTrade, Nov 13, 2009.

1. sjfan

sjfan

Um... I actually do (feel free to quiz me on c#; back in the days I wrote my own CDS pricing before the banks made them available)... it's fairly easy to set up a monitoring program for covered int arb; the only problem, again, is that the pricing formula that the entire street uses preclude the existing for a covered interest arb.

Again, are you really this dense?

#21     Nov 13, 2009
  2. I'm way past entering data, and make a very good living.

#22     Nov 13, 2009
  3. Show me the program that's available then. I'm not doubting you, so where can I get this program?

#23     Nov 13, 2009
  4. sjfan

sjfan

Dude, this stuff is traded over the counter; You have to call up your counter party and get a quote for a size(for example), at which point he'd be an idiot not to run his FRA pricing to give you an arbitrage free price

#24     Nov 13, 2009
  5. sjfan

sjfan

(1) why would it be publically available? (and seriously, who would actually bother writing it - it's like writing a program to buy at the bid and sell at the ask at the same time - it would never make a single trade), and (2), again, there's no automatic execution for this stuff.

#25     Nov 13, 2009

6. Hmmm.....I'm still thinking there is a way, here. It was my impression the quotes were given as well as the rate. Is that not the case? If so, then, yes, it's impossible.

#26     Nov 13, 2009
  7. sjfan

sjfan

What do you mean? I'm not sure I understand this statement

#27     Nov 13, 2009
  8. Hmm...well I appreciate your time, sjfan. I've never actually seen a bloomberg terminal before. I've only seen valueline, which I don't believe is as useful. So much for that idea then. It was a problem in Level II of the CFA curriculum, and hard at that.

#28     Nov 13, 2009
  9. The part of the covered interest rate parity isn't just the forward price, but the rate, that allows arbitrage. I need to know what rate I'd get for lending and what rate I'd get for borrowing. I guess it's kind of implied by the FRA, of course, but I'm thinking there's avenues for obtaining different lending and borrowing rates beyond the OTC market here.

#29     Nov 13, 2009
  10. sjfan

sjfan

No worries - I think it's on CFA I too; That pricing formula that's on CFA for FRA pricing - that's used by everyone. And since all the inputs are traded, it's guaranteed to have no possible arbitrage (again, unless someone really screwed up; I'm sure it happens, but not at all very often) - and the over-the-counter nature makes it a lot less likely.

Now that we've successfully hijacked the thread... sorry to the OP

#30     Nov 13, 2009