What to tell my neighbors about my trading career.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ProfitMania, Feb 25, 2007.

1. dandxg

From my Brother-in-Law :)

#41     Feb 26, 2007
  2. Because people cant handle the truth, people gossip, and the facts get twisted.

#42     Feb 26, 2007
  3. Few people understand what it is to be trading for a living.

Hell, my own mother doesn't want me to be a trader.

#43     Feb 26, 2007
  4. Yeah, ES, that post was just hysterical, over and over again ... :) - I don't see your problem, man, tell'em you're a successful trader, and no free financial advice because you trade the curriences, or what have you.

Yes, whenever I tell people I trade they always want something for free as well, I learned early on to just nip that baby in the bud, the best thing that can happen from giving people free advice is you make somebody else a lot of money, the worse thing that can happen is you constantly have to hear the complaints when the trade/investment doesn't work out.

Good luck on this one, nothing like an emberassement of riches.

JJ

#44     Feb 26, 2007
  5. Tell them that you live of your investments.
    Then ask them: 'You still have to work for money? That's too bad'
    Fight snobbery with snobbery ;-)

#45     Feb 26, 2007
  6. notouch

notouch

A lot of people give themselves fancy titles. You don't hear a gastroenterologist saying "I peer up people's arses for a living" so it's unnecessary to say "I trade for a living". A lot of people have no idea what a "trader" is. The word is far too broad. What kind of trader? An ebay trader? A cattle trader? An arms trader? Financial analyst or fund manager is probably the best description you can give.

#46     Feb 26, 2007
  7. Why worry about what other people think (especially if you are bringing home the bacon and you and your wife are happy)?
    Just because a 60 year old father of your neighbors revealed his little mind racing away - you can't control him or his thoughts. All you can do is be civil to them and not get caught up in their value judgments.

Are you otherwise comfortable in your new home and neighborhood or do you feel unworthy for some reason to be there?

If you are so worried about appearances, rent an office downtown and work from there. Buy a new tie too.

#47     Feb 26, 2007
  8. I'm a little surprised no said this earlier. If your making enough money trading to live in an exclusive neighborhood, then who gives a fuck what the neighbors think. And ironically, this is all the more reason to tell people you are a trader because you can tell them to go to hell. I avoided my old job for 3 years until I made enough money to feel justified leaving to trade for a living. Trading is the ultimate entrepreneurial endeavor and a successful trader is envied by everyone. No one wants to work for a living, and if they were skilled enough to trade; they would quit their professions immediately. Who wouldn't want to wake up in the morning, turn on their laptop and make money. You don't even have to get out of bed. Unfortunately, only 5-10% can trade profitable YOY. While the rest of the world can only dream about it. Furthermore, the exclusivity of being a successful trader allows you to snub your nose at your neighbors.

Also, If you are "living off your wife" but, still trading and she's supportive; that's nothing to be ashamed of either. But, to make a living as a trader and be ashamed of it doesn't add up. JMO :cool:

#48     Feb 26, 2007
  9. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. Tell them that you have your own investment firm and leave it at that.

#49     Feb 26, 2007
  10. If they're shoveling their own driveways they ain't that rich. Tell em' that!

#50     Feb 26, 2007