What to tell my neighbors about my trading career.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ProfitMania, Feb 25, 2007.

1. I just moved into a neighborhood that is 3 times as expensive as my previous one. On the first day, a man in his 60's came to my garage to talk me. He told me that his daughter and son-in-law lived on the other side of the street, that they were law firm partners. Then he asked about my job. I told him that I was a professor at xyz university. His facial muscle and mouth moved twice without a sound. Then he asked what my wife's job. I said she worked in zyx bank. Then he said "oh, that is where money comes from."
    Today, most of my neighbors came out to shovel snow, and hence I met some of new neighbors. They all asked where I work and they reacted more or less similar to the first old man I met. I do not want them to think that I am living on my wife's income. I almost wanted to tell them that majority of my income is from trading which is many times as much as that of my wife's income, but I did not think that is appropriate and I did not say it. What should I do? What should I tell them?

2. True, you don't want everyone on the block wanting you to handle their investments. However why do you feel you need to justify yourself? I think since you are new people are just striking up conversation. It is natural to ask about one's career, family, etc....

3. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Don't tell them anything, its none of their business.

If you have to tell them something tell them you're an Entrepreneur.

4. Never tell yer neighbours that you derive your income from the markets........when the system has a break-down guess who'll get the evil eye.........I remember after the 87 peek-a-boo it was a total sin at parties to dscuss trading.......after the 91 slump even chatting about mutuals and superannuation was big no-no quickly followed by the "I reckon people like you are the rute of all evil" yadda yadda yadda........lesser of two evils?

5. What kind of car do you drive?

6. Drew07

Drew07

I remember a previous thread a while back that adressed a similar issue. There were some interesting suggestions for job titles for traders..."intra-day liquidity provider" was a good one. Maybe someone can provide a link. Anyways, why do you care so much what your neighbors think? Are you really a professor at a University? If so shouldn't that be enough info for these people?

7. tell them you're in the mafia and leave you the hell alone or else

8. Tell them you are financial analyst for a small private hedge fund. It's not a lie. :D

Frankly, I don't think it's any of their damn business. I am a big believer in privacy, but that's just me.

You tell them you are a trader and pretty soon they will ask personal questions like how much do you make on an average day, etc.

9. Why is everyone so embarassed about making a great living trading? That is something to be proud of! They will only be jealous that you are able to take money out of the markets and they are not. If someone has a problem with trading for a living, then it's their problem.

And if they want you to trade their money, politely decline and tell them you don't want to mix money with your friends.

Be proud of it!

10. Toyota SUV

#10     Feb 25, 2007