What to read after Natenberg?

Discussion in 'Options' started by ferrycorsten, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Check out tastytrade.com
    You will learn more from there than any other book, except the book you just read and McMillan.
    A friend recommended the website a couple of months ago, was skeptical at first, but now I love it.
    Its whole intent is directed towards the home gamers, and it really helped my trading.
    Happy trading.

#11     Mar 4, 2013
  2. You have no affiliation with the company, yet all of your recent posts are recommending whatever it is.

Is "home gamer" a euphemism for loser?

#12     Mar 4, 2013
  3. Plus 1.... I liked dynamic hedging. Even though some say its old.. lots of good insights.... I like Espen Haug to...
    Espen interviews real players.... thorp.derman.etc.

Both those books sit open in my room..

#13     Mar 4, 2013
  4. yeah like Taleb :) hate this guy ! :)

#14     Mar 4, 2013
  5. Brighton

Brighton

He's definitely full of himself. At www.fooledbyrandomness.com this gem is at the bottom of the home page:

"Lectures and lecture requests (Please refrain from offering honorary degrees, awards, listings in "100 most...",& similar debasements of knowledge that turn it into spectator sport)."

And this one is at the top of his CV. The first parenthetical is a hoot:

"One line bio (cannot be edited): Nassim N. Taleb is a former derivatives trader who became a scholar and philosophical essayist in 2006. Although he is currently Distinguished Professor of Risk Engineering at New York University’s Polytechnic Institute, he self-funds his research and operates in the manner of independent scholars. Taleb is the author of The Black Swan (2007–2010) and Antifragile (2012). His works focuses on decision making under uncertainty, as well as technical and philosophical problems with probability and metaprobability, in other words "what to do in a world we don't understand"."

#15     Mar 4, 2013
  6. who cares... take what you want leave what you dont... you can get some nugs out of that dynamic hedging book... there are tons of people that are full of themselves out there.. i don't care.. stuff is all off subject anyway..

#16     Mar 4, 2013
  7. luisHK

luisHK

Wouldn't say Hull is in the same league as Natenberg and Mc Millan, at least mathematically speaking - I quickly got lost with the maths there while I thought I understood much of what the other two wrote. I did try and start with Hull though, might try and read it again now.

Tere's a link to a free pdf called Volatility Trading on ET, also useful read with various level of complexity

Taking a break of derivatives litterature with Murray Rothbard, interesting as well.

#17     Mar 4, 2013
  8. As others have said (and I have said in the past) filthy (Sinclair) has a couple of books that are definitely worth reading. The second edition of VT should be out anytime now.

#18     Mar 5, 2013
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I haven't read McMilan, but Hull and natenberg aren't in the same league. I think Natenberg was bedside reading and Hull is a proper derivatives book. Read it and do all the math problems. You will understand derivatives better than many floor traders. This is important. If you understand the tool then it's easier to find applications.

After that read a bunch of blogs and see how they use options and volatility and try to figure why their trades are probably stupid. You'll learn the risks of various options strategies and then help you find good applications for options.

#19     Mar 5, 2013
  10. Why Sinclair is Filthy?

#20     Mar 5, 2013