What to make of this strategy?

Discussion in 'Options' started by HowardCohodas, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Interesting. Thanks!.

#31     Jul 28, 2011
  2. spindr0

spindr0

I think juicy is when the near month premium bumps up nicely due to pending news. Looking at a historical high IV UL isn't "juicy" to me since pemium is a reflection of IV so

#32     Jul 28, 2011
  3. When you say "dirty" you mean that it isn't a fully hedged trade, but that you are speculating (on volatility or skew or something or other, depending on market conditions) and taking/laying off risk mainly on discretion/outlook/etc. It isn't a stationary trade. Is this mostly correct?.

And the dirtier you get (the less hedged/more risk taken at certain opportunities) the more money you make.

#33     Jul 28, 2011
  4. Dolemite

Dolemite

Along the same lines as the original post, I found this book to be a pretty sound strategy if you are looking to sell premium and reduce risk:

Put Options : How to Use This Powerful Financial Tool for Profit & Protection

It was written by Jeff Cohen and it has been a while since I read it but I believe he actually actively trades the strategy. The key is hedging with index options to try and reduce exposure.

#34     Jul 28, 2011
  5. He says later that he takes the shares and sells covered calls.

#35     Jul 28, 2011
  6. Yeah, on timing, vol-spread ("box" line on the dispersion), correlation, net greeks, etc.

#36     Jul 28, 2011
  7. And will convert to a synthetic short straddle on occasion. I go further OTM when doing so.

#37     Jul 28, 2011
  8. I will sell LEAPS straddles on occasion into earnings or as play on vol+rates (short yield/curve). Barring that, there is never a good argument for shorting naked.

#38     Jul 28, 2011
  9. +1

Thks for tips on your OPM approach. Very discretionary, as I suspected. Nothing wrong with that, except that you must be at the helm.

Do you use IB for OPM as well as personal broker?. Negotiated a good deal in comms with them?

#39     Jul 28, 2011
  10. Yes to IB. No to commissions. I pay the standard rate and unbundled on futures. I deal with a prime as well. Only family trades IB F&F.

#40     Jul 28, 2011