What to do with my life?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shotstakovich, Dec 14, 2018.

1. So, I had a post from a couple years ago that basically asked the same thing.

After college I worked at a minimum wage job to rebuild my trading losses from college. I improved tremendously since my blow up and managed to quadruple my account in a few months. I then found work at another firm that paid better, but there were a number of things in that firm that I was not comfortable with (legal issues, etc).

This year my account is up around 80%, and I'm still trying to refine my approach to trading and risk management. It is a mixture of fundamental, some technical, and sentiment. I'm a contrarian, and like to position myself against the crowd if the risk/reward is good. It seems like I hold my trades anywhere from a few weeks to a month. Position sizes range anywhere from 5% to 20% of my capital.

I've reached out to different people in hedge funds and prop trading. A former poker player-turned hedge fund manager told me that I should focus on getting really good at a skill outside of trading in order to stand out from the pack. He got into the industry via poker, and I guess he hinted that maybe I should try poker. Aside from that interaction, most of my efforts have led nowhere.

It seems impossible to break into this industry...

VPhantom and niko79542 like this.
  2. Roman wasn't built over night.. sounds like your taking too much risk making that kind of money... Take an interest in other things as well...collecting art, fishing, spending your time chasing paper isn't that great... Maybe develop programming skills...learn a few languages , get a degree in States...keep your risk low and build slowly...I do things to distract myself from trading .. I'm good with 20-40% a year ...I own other businesses...

MeAgainstTheWorld, ET180 and comagnum like this.
  3. fan27

fan27

What degree did you get from college?

IAS_LLC and cdcaveman like this.
  4. BS in Finance

fan27 likes this.
  5. Yes, perhaps that's what I need. It's just so hard to bring myself to think about things other than the market.

6. volente_00

volente_00

What do you trade ?

7. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

not one mention of drawdown that is very sad. also to be credible it would be nice to have a 3rd party state your performance. then more likely doors will open for you, but the fact you went directly to your profits red flagged you. no one gives a crap about your performance until they first know the risk associated with the gains.

8. great. largest drawdown this year was around 5% of my entire trading base. I bought put options on MU early in the year, sold when I was wrong. Made a killing on the way down from 50 to 40.

9. expiated

expiated

Another red flag.

smallfil, MarkBrown and cdcaveman like this.
  10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

so the frequency of your trading is basically "how many trades"? did you make that profit on just one market?

#10     Dec 14, 2018