What to do with 1099 consolidated form ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by andy4, Apr 1, 2006.

1. range

range

As I understand it, brokers are allowed to report futures P/L either inclusive of commissions or report futures P/L pre-commission with commissions itemized separately. IB does the latter with futures.

For the past few years, I have included a note to the IRS which specifies how I handled my return as follows, in a successful-so-far attempt to avoid the hassle of a letter from the IRS:

"Note to Form 6781

On the “Composite Statement of 1099 Forms” supplied by Interactive Brokers to the IRS, Line 1 “Realized Futures Profit/Loss” and Line 2 “Aggregate Futures Profit/Loss” each reflect the pre-commission profit/loss and Line 4 “Commissions Paid” separately identifies commissions paid on futures trades. To figure our return, we have subtracted Line 4 from Line 2 to reflect the profit/loss after cost of commissions."

Not a big deal.

#11     Apr 2, 2006
  2. i don't know what all you guys are gettin g bent out of shape for. i ahve green and co do mine and the form seems to ahve a place for both gains and commissions

#12     Apr 2, 2006
  3. JackR

JackR

IB's 1099 has the breakdown. Are you saying that a different IRS form, that is part of your return, has a specific line for futures commissions? Please advise what that form number is.

Jack

#13     Apr 3, 2006