what to do when you're screwed

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gordon Gekko, Oct 8, 2002.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Even though many traders make fun of the book, this is exactly what Oliver Velez says in Tools and Tactics for the Master Day Trader. Read at the wrong time, it's practically useless. Read at the right time, it can be very helpful. Though the same can be said of just about any book I can think of.

--Db

#51     Oct 9, 2002
  2. taodr

taodr

GORDO:

Excuse me but I have thought often that you SEEM TO WASTE TOO MUCH TIME. If I go on this site in the evenings or the odd time during the day , there's always some posting of yours . I've enjoyed reading them but my statement above still applies.

Maybe take a week off . Don't look at the markets. Get an evening job. In the day or half a day PAPER TRADE. And be honest. Write down every reason for taking positions and exiting . But you have to APPLY yourself with No distractions. Forget about mental games just paper trade all the time. Slowly but surely you will open your eyes and realize a lot . Even when you think you've got it continue paper trading and figuring . Best of luck. It will come.

#52     Oct 9, 2002
  3. m22au

m22au

Gordon,

Given your financial circumstances, do you think your trades are influenced by the desire to make a certain $ amount each day / week / month?

If so, a job (PT or FT) will help. When you become profitable, going to a pro firm will help increase your $ profits through the use of margin.

#53     Oct 9, 2002
  4. Ditch

Ditch

Two years ago I started to trading options on the AEX in Holland, I turned 5k into 150k in two months, everything I touched turned into gold, I thought I would hit a million in 6 months. Then 9-11 happened and I kept shorting the rally after that. Blew away about 300k in that period. Since april this year I'm trading e-mini's, for about a month I'm profitable. What turned it around for me was getting rid of the idea, that you have to catch every move in the market. Instead of that I focussed on trading one particular setup. Keepng it simple, that is really the key. Good luck.

#54     Oct 9, 2002
  5. Are you kidding me!?!?!?

You have a mental disease known as addiction. Stop trading, and get some help NOW!

#55     Oct 9, 2002
  6. That's fine -- but what about those days you wake up and make $2k before your hard-on goes limp? Meanwhile I am still half asleep next to the copy machine trying to act like I'm doing real work before one of my bosses comes by to give me more shit.

If you're trading full-time, you are probably net positive over a longer time period. If not, what is the point?

#56     Oct 9, 2002
  7. bone

bone

Go find a prop deal and learn how the hell to trade properly. You don't know what you're doing. It will take alot of pressure off of you, and you'll learn something in the process. If you keep it between the ditches, you'll be able to leverage the firm's capital alot faster than your own. If you're wildly successful, then you'll be peaking and will be ready to jump ship or re-negotiate your split and commissions just about when your contract is up. Speaking from experience here.

HOW, WHEN, AND WHERE WE CHOOSE TO TAKE ON RISK DETERMINES OUR RELATIVE SUCCESS IN TRADING. MONEY TALKS AND BULLSHIT WALKS. ALWAYS, AND I MEAN ALWAYS, TRADE TO MINIMIZE YOUR RISK.

#57     Oct 9, 2002
  8. A simple Recipe for winning:

1) Admit you are clueless

2) Do nothing until you find a(nother) small edge

3) Take the edge

4) Goto 1

#58     Oct 9, 2002
  9. mskl

mskl

bingo

we have a winner..............

#59     Oct 9, 2002
  10. Lancer

Lancer

GG, since you haven't done this, I take it you're not looking for specific entry/exit advice. If you already know when to buy and sell, then what's the problem?

#60     Oct 9, 2002