what to do when you know how to make money...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gordon Gekko, Jun 12, 2002.

1. that one post was worth putting up with all the others for.

#51     Jun 13, 2002
  2. say, darkhorse, how do you suppose they do it? You know, that might make a great thread.

#52     Jun 13, 2002

3. Would be interesting but perhaps redundant. Kovner and Cohen were both interviewed by Jack Schwager, and Soros has both written books and had books written about him. So there is a lot of information out there if you look in the right places.

Those guys are like the great athletes, the stars among stars. Alongside their style is a hidden component of intuition, talent and right place/right time that cannot be imitated at will.

They also typically work 70 hours a week and have 100+ people on their payrolls. I for one don't have the financial drive to make that kind of sacrifice, deal with those kind of headaches. I would rather be a happy mouse who has everything he wants on a smaller scale and lots of freedom/free time too.

#53     Jun 13, 2002
  4. I believe 99% of traders make money, and the really good ones claim to lose, so you won't muscle in on the easy game.

#55     Jun 13, 2002
  5. I'm not trying to put out your flame, but keep in mind that just
    because you can trade your own account, doesn't mean
    you can trade OPM. If you don't believe me, just read Marty Schwartz' book "Pit Bull". To summarize: It damn near killed him.

#56     Jun 13, 2002
  6. OK gg, you want some advice, here is mine:

1. Lose the campy nickname. It makes you appear young and foolish. And as you have already confirmed, half of that (perhaps unwarrented) assumption is true (eg, your age). I wonder if people would have been so hard on you if your alias was JohnPierpont? I know this seems unfair, and it probably *is* unfair, but I'm just telling you how you appear. How many times has some new guy come to my firm, made bold statements and predictions, only to burn out in a few months? I've seen it too many times to count. You don't want to look like that guy. No one will take you seriously. Oh and btw, that jpeg in your sig? Not helping.

2. As for OPM, going prop is probably your best bet if you want to trade full time. Or you could go retail along w/ the dreaded J O B to pay the rent, and you trade in your spare time, build up your acct, test your methods for about a year+. I did the latter, when I was first starting out. I wish I had a place like IB back then, it would have been SOOOO MUCH easier. 100 shares is about as cost efficient as 10,000. Thats a huge advantage to a small trader.

3. Don't take all this too personally. One day you will look back and have a good laugh.

Good Luck.

#57     Jun 13, 2002
  7. I love your considerably more intelligent and insightful posts more than most, but I must point out, you are using up a lot of your twenty minute allotment on this thread.:D :D :D

#58     Jun 13, 2002
  8. people must be making money today. everyone seems less testy.

#59     Jun 13, 2002
  9. probably one of the better responses here on this thread

#60     Jun 13, 2002