What to do w/ conflicting 1m,3m,5m signals.

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by tradersaavy, Jul 23, 2003.

1. jjordan

jjordan

One usually sees a plan come together when
    expectations are fulfilled<g>

Good planning is prepared for down, sideways even up!

Low expectations are easily met.<g>
    ~j

here's a good example, a follow-up chart from
    above what if chart

#11     Aug 4, 2003
  2. I trade the 1 and 3m. I learned to never trade against the 3-minute. This was a costly lesson.

#12     Aug 4, 2003
  3. Volume confirmations

#13     Aug 4, 2003
  4. Sometimes if the 3-min is position-neutral I will take a signal off the 1-min, but I want to see quick follow up and I am usually quicker to exit.

#14     Aug 4, 2003
  5. i like everything to line up so that the evidence in all threee charts say the same thing but if you are up for intense action playing pullbacks on the 1 min chart is definitely a winning strategy....... BUT 3 hours later.... i am exhausted..... scalp[ing is definitely not for easily stressed people

#15     Aug 4, 2003
  6. when conflicted with short term time frames, extend your own personal duration. Step back and look at the hourly and daily!

#16     Aug 20, 2003
  7. Sometime when all of the line up, the trade only gave you a small profit. Sometime only 2 of them line up and if you took the trade it gave very good profits. It would give you a feeling that you don't need to wait for them to line up and you could still win. But some time later, it would teach you a lesson!:D

#17     Aug 20, 2003
  8. ====================================

Daytrading,would look at bid price levels even more than time frame.

Good question;
    found bid price levels,30 minute candlecharts,daily,longer time frame tell more than 1-10 minute charts.:cool:

============================

''The plans of the diligent tend only to advantage''- Solomon,trader king

#18     Aug 20, 2003
  9. I believe I could trade with nothing but a 1 minute chart and make money. The larger time frames are helpful, though in deciding whether to go for the scalp or hang on a bit.

#19     Aug 20, 2003
  10. Just a very very primitive thought :confused:.

My hypothesis is:

It might be not the best way to say which signal at that particular timing is right or wrong or better than other signals.

An alternative approach for the same issue is to evaluate which method (1m/3m/5m), when it is treated as an integral of all its (say 1m) signals rather than randomly picking only one single momentary signal, would produce the optimal (what is optimum can be another separate issue) expected returns (to make profits against risks/resources).

Then we choose one (if not some) of them entirely (e.g. all 1m signals).

:confused: :mad:

#20     Aug 20, 2003