what to buy if inflation returns

Discussion in 'Economics' started by billyjoerob, Aug 6, 2012.

1. True. I agree that money markets probably aren't the greatest choice.

Here is Warren Buffett:

My own preference -- and you knew this was coming -- is our third category: investment in productive assets, whether businesses, farms, or real estate. Ideally, these assets should have the ability in inflationary times to deliver output that will retain its purchasing-power value while requiring a minimum of new capital investment. Farms, real estate, and many businesses such as Coca-Cola (KO), IBM (IBM), and our own See's Candy meet that double-barreled test. Certain other companies -- think of our regulated utilities, for example -- fail it because inflation places heavy capital requirements on them. To earn more, their owners must invest more. Even so, these investments will remain superior to nonproductive or currency-based assets.

#11     Aug 6, 2012
  2. toc

toc

Inflation will not be allowed to return in the US. May be in other countries but in US federal reserve has various tools available to avoid the rapid erosion of values. :D

#12     Aug 6, 2012
  3. Actually I think the reason that paper assets in general do poorly during inflation, even if they are linked to short term interest rates (like money markets) is that paper assets are denominated in a particular currency.

#13     Aug 6, 2012
  4. 5th grade math question.

Person A owns 1 oz of gold at $1600 per oz.

Person B owns a money market fund paying 5% dividend.

1 year later gold goes up in value 10%.

Who earned more money?

Trick question...nobody earned any money. 1 oz of gold still buys what it bought a year ago while the money market fund has 10% less purchasing power which means it lost 5% of its value.

You buy gold so when the SHTF, you can buy up things of value for cheap from desperate people who need money to buy food.

#14     Aug 6, 2012
  5. If they're desperate and need food, who is going to buy your gold? The hungry can't eat gold. You've made an argument for farm land, not gold.

#15     Aug 6, 2012
  6. sprstpd

sprstpd

You buy at least some gold now so that when other people realize they need gold to protect themselves from the world's printing presses, you will be able to sell to them.

#16     Aug 6, 2012
  7. I doubt any goldbug ever has or ever will sell gold for dollars

#17     Aug 6, 2012
  8. My friend, do you see now how indoctrinated you are that US dollars are real money and gold is not? It's the complete opposite.

Let me try to unindoctrinate you. :p I have gold, you are hungry and have no food, but you have a car. I give you half an oz of gold for your car. You take that half an oz of gold and go to the farmer and give it to him for a decent amount of food. The farmer wants gold because of the inflation. He will not take the US dollars because he knows they will be worth less next week while the gold will hold its value against his crops.

#18     Aug 6, 2012
  9. why doesn't the farmer just take the car?

#19     Aug 6, 2012
  10. What would you rather your employer pay you in...a car(one not of your choosing) or in gold/money?

#20     Aug 6, 2012