What "TIME" of the day do you trade Most often?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by F-Trader, Aug 8, 2005.

1. 08:58 Gapping Up

Gapping up on strong earnings/guidance:

SMSI +6%, CELL +6%, AIG +2.5%....

Other News: BIDU +5% (up in sympathy with Yahoo's investment in Chinese e-commerce operator Alibaba.com), MSTR +3.5% (files 10-Q), ILSE +7% (Wachovia Upgrade), DPH +7% (JP Morgan upgrade), CKCM +3% (bounces after 27% drop yesterday), QCOM +3% (Morgan Stanley upgrade), OVTI +2.7% (collaborates with NASA), CHT +2% (privatizes with $2.56 bln US share offer), RMTI +25% (positive patent news)....

Under $3: TMTA +48% (reports JunQ), QEE +21%.

#51     Aug 10, 2005
  2. I really like this post .....

My advice is to wait until the last 90 minutes of the day and re-sample. I basically watch for signals in my list during the intraday hours between the first 90 minutes and the last 90 minutes - sometimes things happen that yield useful information upon which I dont necessarily trade but note for later .....

#52     Aug 10, 2005
  3. vdgraaf

vdgraaf

Very nice post and strategy:)

My broker has a market scanner, and I've run it today at 9.15am to get a list of stocks that gapped up.

Here is the list and the results:
    AIG: in at 63.20 out at 62.85
    SMSI: in at 5.90 out at 5.77
    CELL: in at 25.50 out at 25.50(I went long on this one.. and got stopped)
    ILSE: in at 19.65 out at 19.35
    FRO: in at 42.53 out at 42.00

Grand total: 1.31$x500 shares=655$

#53     Aug 10, 2005
  4. I play online poker when I can't find any good trades, or don't feel good about the day. Party poker has really soft tables and you can fairly consistently make money there... same kind of action, on a much smaller scale, however.

Just a thought....

- The New Guy

#54     Aug 10, 2005
  5. Fades for today:

MSTR-Bought break of 10 am high, still in

QCOM-Bought break of 10 am high, still in

OVTI-Bought break of 10am high, still in

CKCM-Have order in to buy HOD

CELL-Triggered

SMSI-Triggered

ILSE-Triggered

RMTI-Pass

TMTA-Monitoring

CHRD-Triggered

ACTI-Pass

I'll post results later. These fades came from the list of aftermarket trading from last night which I posted and todays premarket.

I hate watching more than 8 stocks (4 per screen) because then I need to go to a 3rd screen and it makes things hairy.

I had 9 trades on last week at one time and it sucked, I missed a lot of money that I should have taken off the table.:mad:

#55     Aug 10, 2005
  6. May SS CELL below LOD

#56     Aug 10, 2005
  7. On day trades:
    If you're day trading you almost have to be in there with orders in the AM but I rarely place orders in the 1st 15 minutes except where I can find a European actively traded stock @ open with price that moved over there & I can get it near previous close (below FTSE/DAX/CAC) on the open ------> RTSI is a favorite of mine to trade this way.

If you've closed your positions out & will stop trading then GO ENJOY your day !

Be aware, however, that a lot of professional $$ is working in the last 1/2 hour (traders closing positions & institutions scanning for dumpers, etc.

I do most of my trading in between the OPEN HOUR & CLOSING HOUR.

On interday - setup trades:

Depends on if you auto trade --> I don't,since I prefer to use "alert" & establish a position off the action 2 that time. Its more work but I get a "feel" & have better executioon control.

WHAT ARE YOU TRADING ??
    I trade stocks & stock options with quite a bit of hedging.

#57     Aug 10, 2005