What the rest of the world thinks...........

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Humpy, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Huh?

#11     Sep 2, 2012
  2. Mav88

Mav88

sure, let's give Iranians and North Koreans each a vote... and what happens when its the other way? don't foreign nations chaff at US power and influence?

in the pantheon of dumb ideas, you have earned an honored spot

#12     Sep 2, 2012
  3. Well Humpy I agree with you. I'm interested in what other countries thiink of our candidates.

I'm sure other coountries may invest in our markets/re, etc based on our presidential policies and who has their countries interests at heart.

Why couldn't other countries influence american votes (electoral perhaps?), or should I say politics. With money or quid pro quo policiy.
    I think Americans should at least be cognizant of what other countries desire from our political system and elections.

Think about Saddam hussien, I'd bet he would have like to see Bush lose, back in the day. Currently there are probably other foreign leaders that would like to see sissy mofo pussy girly man obama win again.

#13     Sep 2, 2012
  4. Speaking as a foreigner, but expressing my personal opinion...

I have long given up on the American political system. It's currently incapable of producing viable candidates that would be able to deal with the various important issues that need to be dealt with. While I think Romney/Ryan have some potential, I fear that, in the end, it's gonna turn out to be just more of the same.

#14     Sep 2, 2012
  5. Humpy

Humpy

Hoorah a reply
    I find it is usually much more informative to know what the others think than listening to the yes men on one's own side.

oh yes not many politicians can see the wood for the trees.

#15     Sep 2, 2012
  6. Well, Americans are interested in the views of other countries. We have extensive relations with countries around the globe, and extensive trade. Any American businessman with international business is interested in the views of the people in the countries he or she deals with. We have consulates, you have consulates, we have a state department, you have a state department (assuming you are not American). There are available to Americans numerous publications, television programs, and internet sites that broadcast the full spectrum of views of non Americans.

However, the b class voting idea is absurd. We are a sovereign nation and will remain one. Are you prepared to compromise the sovereignty of your nation with the votes of non-citizens?

#16     Sep 2, 2012
  7. BSAM

BSAM

Rap of the day:

Humpy dumpy sat on a wall.
    Humpy dumpy had a great fall.
    All Obama's horses and all Obama's men.
    Couldn't put Humpy together again.

:p

#17     Sep 2, 2012
  8. jem

jem

Good idea, I say we give every country a vote, put a complex in manhattan, call it the U.N. and see how well the world works together for peace, justice, harmony and financial well being of all, especially oppressed religious minorities in the middle east and africa.

#18     Sep 2, 2012
  9. jcl

jcl

Until about 10 years ago, the US have been seen as a sort of world policeman. They were expected to fix the world. Indeed they did on several occasions, for instance in the Kosovo conflict, where Europe had failed miserably. The US gained a lot of worldwide reputation for their engagement at that time.

All this has changed dramatically during the Bush administration. Today in many countries the US are not taken seriously anymore. Many would prefer if they went back to isolationism and cared about themselves - at least they can then not do any more damage. Obama had a good start and good intentions, but has so far not achieved much. His attempt to fix the dysfunctional US health system has not received any worldwide attention. Romney on the other hand is nondescript, except for making a fool of himself on his tour through Europe. So, there's not much anticipation about the elections.

We certainly don't want to vote. Unless we could select the candidates :).

#19     Sep 3, 2012
  10. Mav88

Mav88

We did? I don't recall anything like that, in fact I was waiting for the muslim world to thank us which they never did. I recall once again the europeans could not fix a problem in their own back yard so the US taxpayer did it, just like Libya.

It did nothing for the average american like me, I don't really care about other's opinions when they seldom care about mine. Is that what we teach children, don't try and please everyone?

#20     Sep 3, 2012