What the hell is with Win7 updates?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Overnight, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Overnight

Overnight

If Windows 7 was officially unsupported by Microsoft like two years ago, why have I been getting constant update notifications about the "Windows Malicious Software removal tool x64?"

I keep installing them, as it seems harmless enough. Doesn't seem to do a damned thing either, since i have some anti-virals on the thing. I install them just so I just don't have to see the bubble keep popping up on the taskbar.

What is with that? heh.

2. ph1l

ph1l

it's still supported in Windows 7. The link has instructions for disabling the tool.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...kb890830-ba51b71f-39cd-cdec-73eb-61979b0661e0
    Why is this in Chit Chat and not Networking and Security?

3. Overnight

Overnight

4. Magna

Magna Administrator

If you feel comfortable editing the Windows Registry you can prevent the update notifications and bubbles from popping up by going to:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT\
    If the MRT key does not exist right-click the Microsoft key > New > Key and create it. Then over on the right do another right-click > New > DWORD (32-bit) even if you are running 64-bit Windows. Name the new key:
    DontOfferThroughWUAU
    After creating the new DWORD right-click it, Modify, set its value to 1

And if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 you will also need to go to:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432NODE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT\ (again, if MRT doesn't exist then create it). And do the same as above and create a new 32-bit DWORD on the right named:
    DontOfferThroughWUAU
    And, as above, after creating it set its value to 1.

If you don't feel the Malicious Removal Tool is of any real value, or you feel it is more of a bother than it's worth, you can remove it by opening an Admin Command Prompt and typing:
    wusa /uninstall /kb:890830 /quiet /norestart
    Hit enter, then type 'Exit' (and hit enter again) to close the command prompt.

REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER WHEN DONE WITH EITHER/BOTH OF THE ABOVE.

When messing with the Registry it's always a good idea to first create a System Restore Point in case something screws up, as that way you can return to the way things were.

Overnight likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Yeah, the registry doesn't bother me at all. It's just a stupidly overworked .ini file. I just had another update pop on on this machine today. Guess it is lagging the other one. Just wondering why they continue to support it when they claim they have stopped supporting Win7.

Thanx for where to look to disable the notifications though.