What strategies do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Options' started by klurby, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Betapeg

Betapeg

Futures options allow much less margin requirement for the premium received. You can easily sell 30-40% OTM and still receive a good premium, unlike equity/index options, which require you to sell close to the money and for a large margin requirement. This goes without saying, risk management is key. Cut the losses, let the winners run. Since being short on options means knowing your maximum profit, you know ahead of time what you are going to make. Setting up a double premium mental stop loss cuts all losses to just that. Double premium.

In my opinion, honestly I feel the strategy I use is far safer than anything I have ever done, be it stock investing, stock option trades, forex, or futures trading. There is no other security I can think of which allows me to be wrong and still make a profit.

I hardly pay attention to the greeks as they just give me some stats on what I am getting into. They do not determine anything for me. I do keep delta and theta on my position interface, however.

This may be true for stock options, no doubt. But with futures options, I haven't looked at vegas at all, because it seems a lot less sensitive to volatility, so much so I don't bother with it.

Also, being short on options means you are NEGATIVE THETA. Not positive.

#31     Jul 5, 2011
  2. Real talk, it's not far safer, it's just higher probability than punting underlying without edge. That doesn't speak to the real risk in selling the pennies. Just keep your fingers crossed for a low vola environment for the foreseeable future, and CASH OUT! Regularly.

#32     Jul 5, 2011
  3. :D

-theta = pay the decay
    +theta = earn the decay

30-40% otm and good premiums? Wh wh where?! Seriously, I'd really like to know.

#33     Jul 5, 2011
    Timetwister likes this.
  4. JSHINV

JSHINV

Short out of the money options are positive theta.

#34     Jul 5, 2011
  5. Betapeg

Betapeg

Selling 0.01 deltas is far safer than selling 0.50 deltas any day, any time, any where. It's impossible to sell that kind of delta in stock options. Futures options is the only venue where you can do this. Since I started selling futures options, I never took another look at vegas or volatility again. Stock and futures options are two completely different species.

Ha, you're right, it's positive theta. I was looking at my deltas which are all negative. My bad! :p

Futures options.

#35     Jul 5, 2011
  6. Betapeg

Betapeg

#36     Jul 5, 2011
  7. Please don't offer any advice on the subject. The 0.01 delta comment is ridiculous. We don't need to address the theta comment again. I would suggest you demand a refund if you paid money to the clowns on that site.

#37     Jul 5, 2011
    Timetwister likes this.
  8. Betapeg

Betapeg

Here is a screenshot of a portfolio of far OTM futures options.

www.betapeg.com/P0sitions.jpg

Look at the strike prices of these options and then look at the "mark". My oil contracts are more than 30% OTM. My natural gas is more than 40%. Corn moved against me but is STILL 10% out of the money with 17 days left so the trade is still very much on. My soybeans short strangle has one leg 15% OTM, and the other more than 20% OTM. My wheat position is 50% OTM!!

You'll see all these options are far OTM but I still received on the order of about $1,000 per trade ending in less than 2 months (when I put these on). Margin requirement at the time these trades were put on was about 30-40% of total capital. The rest is nothing but cash. I will be receiving $5,000 of premium within 1-2 months which is a 5% return on a $100,000 portfolio. Annualize that and you'll get a reasonable estimate of at least 40% or 50% as an annual return.

None of this is "pennies", "scalping", or "grabbing nickels in front of a bulldozer." With the proper risk management rules, it's actually safer for the return than anything I have ever seen. How I can be making $5,000 of premium in less than 2 months using just 20-30% of my capital and that be called "pennies in front of a bulldozer", I have no idea.

#38     Jul 5, 2011
  9. The 20-30% is simply initial req. I've never heard anyone correlate haircut and profitability. Does Chuck E Cheese accept that $1,700 in demo gains?

You sold CL calls at 9 cents.... that NG trade is too retarded to mention further.

#39     Jul 5, 2011
  10. LOL, does everyone selling otm juice think they can start a firm? Please make HowardCohodas head of risk management. He's got a recommendation letter from Jack Hershey.

#40     Jul 5, 2011