What strategies do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Options' started by klurby, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Betapeg

Betapeg

Yes I have been reviewing their newsletters. It's been difficult to back test this because the test platform doesn't exactly simulate reality. My tests work spectacularly but real money trades are still lacking.

They say selling far OTM puts on gold is a sure bet.

#161     Jul 22, 2011
  2. Are you as ignorant?

#162     Jul 22, 2011
  3. joneog

joneog

Honestly, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.(and this is coming from someone who's biggest trade has been long-gold for the last 6 years) It's the type of market that could be down 100 in a day or 300+ in a week. Eventually the bull market will end, and it will end with a bang.

Maybe look at vertical spreads, where you can define your max-risk(assuming you learn how to handle/avoid expiration when the market is around the short strike.)

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the vol skew may offer some alpha from the strategy you mention, but I'm not sure I trust anyone to succesfully extract it over the long-term.

I think your corn trade gave you a valuable less at a relatively low cost. Hopefuly you treat it that way.

#163     Jul 22, 2011
    #164     Jul 22, 2011
  5. Betapeg

Betapeg

I was wrong. No need to be an asshole about it.

#165     Jul 22, 2011
    #166     Jul 22, 2011
  7. Taleb distribution? I assume you mean fat-tails, Cauchy, etc. The problem is that CORN DIDN'T MOVE THAT MUCH. It's flat over the last ten days. You can't sell pennies in these commodities because the vol can explode on a single large order (in vol). Often you're as much or more exposed to the smile than outright vol... and you don't look at vol!

Inwestors still thrilled?

#167     Jul 22, 2011
  8. JSHINV

JSHINV

Betapeg, you still arguing about this?

#168     Jul 22, 2011
  9. JSHINV

JSHINV

Betapeg,

You mentioned a book. Its not the book you should start off with.

The best book on options trading is Option Volatility & Pricing, by Sheldon Natenberg. It was written in the late 80s (revised in the early 90s) but its still highly applicable. except maybe the ease of finding mispriced options using a retail broker's platform - not referring to options that are over priced because implied vol is expected to snap back down or underpriced because because implied vol is expected to increase.

Anyway, the book is dry, because the author deals with facts, very little opinion or emotion and he covers the subject very well. If you are like me, you'll have to read it more than 1x to get it. I am still reading the same thing again and again and I still haven't mastered it.

Another good book is Options as a Strategic Investment by Lawrence McMillian. This is a more a better read, because it is easier than Natenberg. But, if you master the chapters Mathematical Applications and Advanced Concepts, it is a good foundation.

Start with Natenberg first.

#169     Jul 23, 2011
  10. JSHINV

JSHINV

Better clarify... what I haven't mastered is the math needed to work the formulas in the Appendixes in Natenberg with the model formulas and other financial formulas. I knew calculus and statistics in high school and college. So aptitude isn't the problem, motivating myself to learn it again is another story. I figure most of the people who know their stuff and are experts at one time crunched the numbers on their hand helds to determine pricing and greeks using Black Scholes and other models. They have a familiarity with them because they crunched the numbers (including the greeks) themselves. I know for any financial formula or even simple ratios, you understand them less if you don't crunch the numbers yourself.

#170     Jul 23, 2011