What stocks are still good to buy for an investment?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Sequoia1321, Jul 20, 2020.

1. entire market is ripoff scam. i mean there is this exchange with 1000 companeis and 100% of the companeis listed worthless garbage scam
    and on the most active list 100% oft the stocks listed is ripoff scam company.
    As an individual you don't know have to own any stock. that is the individual investors advantage unlike profs who have to be in the market or own stocks or have a portfolio all the time.

#11     Jul 21, 2020
  2. Buy the dip, not the high. This is probably not the best time to buy stocks heavily for long term hold. The whole house of cards is subject to fold flat any day now.

Just a couple of ideas. Until we get past the next market crash, think about ETFs based on government bonds. ITE, SHY, TIPS, or for long term, VGLT. For leverage, try TMF in a bull market, or TMV in a bear market. When one is going up, the other will be going down. You know what to do. While the indexes are showing the market going up, hold TMF. When it turns, sell it and buy TMV. When the market hits bottom and rallys, buy tech and consumer stocks with a strong bias toward the ones already mentioned in this thread. Bank stocks would be good, too but in the next big bull market I think tech is gonna rule. The communications sector especially, I think, as 5G rolls out, and media, too. Look for NFLX to do some crayzee sheeyit. Sgonna be hyooooooge. Car manufacturers will probably be posting some pretty big numbers, likely with TSLA leading the way. Energy stocks will be sluggish but steady. Pharma and health will probably be lost in the noise but as usual, good for day trading.

BYND's price is fad-driven. I know it has gone up umpty-x since the IPO and original investors are feeling no pain, but no I don't see it as a reliable investment at all, especially now. Stocks whose prices are driven by cachet or social correctness or whatever will go down HARD when the lightweight millennial RH players get shaken out of the market. Don't invest in stocks with a high price to earnings ratio. Those can be fun and profitable for trading but don't invest in them right now. Maybe after the next big crash but not now.

You are a bit late for dinner, really. If you had invested in 2016, or January 2019, or this April, you would be chopping high cotton now. If you had bought TQQQ, a leveraged ETF based on the NASDAQ at the end of March, you would have more than doubled your investment by today. NASDAQ is now at all time high. S&P 500, too. DOW is nearly up to it's previous record. The general public is buying stocks at an alarming rate and prices are reflecting this. When they get shook out, things will get ugly in a hurry. Maybe on the scale of Oct 1929. In the long run stocks will go up and those who never sell will make out okay. The problem is the long run can be awfully long.

Gold is traditionally very safe in a crash, and when the value of the dollar declines, gold is of course going up too. Problem is the smart guys who aren't really so smart will be driving the price action a lot more than in previous crashes. Treasury notes are not stylish or flashy. They won't be nearly as volatile and you will get few surprises. Go for more volatile investments when the market is strongly bullish again.

Quick and simple. Watch for the Dow to drop 5 days in a row or 6 days within any 7 market day period. You are looking for a minimum 10% drop during that period but it will probably be more. You also should see all the pundits proclaiming The Great Crash of 2020 is here. Then watch for the recovery. It will probably be a few weeks or months before that happens, maybe a year. Look at historical crashes and make your own judgement. Whenever you see the market rise two days in a row, buy. Don't load the boat. It might go down some more. Buy some more next time it goes up two days in a row. Then the next time and the next. If it goes up for a week straight you ought to be in with everything you got that you want to invest. This is the simplest way I can think of to handle this. Of course there are all sorts of indicators you can go by, some more reliable than others. The price indexes not opinions. They are what they are.

The above advice is warranted to be worth every penny that you paid for it.

#12     Jul 21, 2020
    Sequoia1321 likes this.
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

ITT, Xerox, Kresge, Eastman Kodak, Sears, Polaroid.... and last but not least hanging on by a hair...
    The Mighty GE.

#13     Jul 21, 2020
    JesseJamesFinn1 likes this.
  4. David18

David18

There are plenty of stocks which are currently low-priced due to covid-19
    but expected to resume their previous bullish trend after the crisis is gone.

For example: RTX, AXP

However I don't know if now is the best time to buy.
    For long-term investments it may be OK to buy them now.

Please don't condider my post as an advice to buy these stocks.
    Do your own thinking and decide what is best for you.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    #14     Jul 22, 2020
  5. BYND (Beyond Meat) is going to have earnings today. Cramer from Mad Money spoke about it positively recently again. Also saw this article today regarding their new commercial, contains the video of it:

https://www.fastcompany.com/9053530...rcial-features-octavia-spencer-asking-what-if

It think the plant based movement is probably a winner over the long term, and probably the future of eating, or a major part of the future, I don't see it as a fad or short term thing. Whether BYND is going to make it is another debate, but they look like they know what they're doing and have already a solid footprint.

#15     Aug 4, 2020
  6. i like Mosaic ( MOS ).

#16     Aug 4, 2020
  7. deaddog

deaddog

Why? Don't you want the responsibility of looking after your own money.

#17     Aug 4, 2020
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Hmmmm.
    They carry a lot of debt though. It's cheap. Their margins suck.
    Why's an ag- chemical company based out of Tampa though?
    As these things go, its probably the better one in the sector.
    Ahhhhhh.... I see they reported yesterday. That must be the reason you brought it up.
    Its dead money.

#18     Aug 4, 2020
  9. These things can get volatile, I'm afraid I'll get stopped out, end up selling low. So that's why I was looking for a long term trade. Have not had good results with stop losses. Maybe investment is a better term for what I'm trying to do with it. I'll definitely be watching it though, and determine when I will sell.

#19     Aug 4, 2020
  10. deaddog

deaddog

If you are not going to control risk by managing your portfolio you'd be better off just buying an index ETF. (SPY or VOO) Possibly a high interest savings account or term deposit would let you sleep better as the Index moves with the market as it did in March.

If you want higher returns then you have to take the risk involved. You can manage risk by having a method of getting out of the market when stocks go down. You might have to take a small loss but that is better than a big loss.

When you look at it Buy and Hold investing is just a trend following system without any risk control.

#20     Aug 4, 2020
    Sequoia1321 likes this.