What statistics do you use in your trading journal?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by hcour, Jan 29, 2007.

1. hcour

hcour Guest

I just bought an Excel FX trading journal and I'm wondering if some of you more experienced traders w/a "statistical bent" could comment on some of the things you look at in your own journals to monitor and (I'm assuming) refine your trading. Not asking for state secrets, but if there's something you'd like to share that has helped you in this respect it would be appreciated. Here's a screenshot of the pivot table field list that contains all the statistics that come w/this journal:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/Hcour/FXExcelJournalSS.gif

Since I know very little about Excel, the pivot tables are proving very useful, they're pretty amazing. Right now I'm looking at pretty basic stuff, I got these from Farley's book:

% Win - winners/total trades
    Avg Win - total profits/winning trades
    Avg Loss = total losses/losing trades

One can also add one's own custom calculations and I plan to add a couple more calculations to the journal right away. I read about this in Pristine's mag, of all places, but it made sense to moi:

If you track the "maximum" amount the instrument traveled, you can compare the ratio of the target you sought compared to the full potential....The other question to answer is "What % of my intended target am I actually attaining?"

Another calculation I'm thinking of adding is the maximum amount the instrument traded in the opposite direction on those trades on which I was initially stopped out w/a loss. Perhaps this would help one adjust one's stops? (Please keep in mind that I'm very new to the whole "statistics thing".)

I suppose I should point out that I'm a discretionary trader, swing-trading w/a holding period of few days to a few weeks. Any comments or suggestions re: statistics would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
    Harold