What sort of fund structure can cause clients lose more than 100% losses when the fund blows up?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by helpme_please, Nov 21, 2018.

1. I think the OP wanted to know how is it possible to lose more than you put in. I think this is how the recent blowup went down:

- Pro thinks asset will never hit price $Y, and sells deep naked OTM calls with a strike of $Y, he hedges 12 of these with 1 purchase of the actual asset at the current price of $X
    - Oops, asset hits price $Y+$Z, everone who bought his deep naked OTM calls wants to exercise at price $Y
    - Pro has to buy at $Y+$Z and sell at $Y, meaning he loses $Z
    - Since the original trade was leveraged, you lose $Z x some factor, which can be greater than your account balance. You then owe this to the clearing house because that's how faith in the market remains. Or something like that.

I do not claim to be correct, this is just my understanding. Happy to be shown where I'm wrong.

Edit: NVM, just wanted to know why the clients are on the hook and not the pro.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    #11     Nov 21, 2018
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Yes the disclosures are all in place but these are all adults making investingments with eyes wide open. The investor needs to do their own due diligence and make investments that fit their needs and risk. No one should place too much of their savings in risky investments that are highly correlated. If they do, they are gambling with their future.

#12     Nov 21, 2018
    ironchef and dealmaker like this.
  3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Not sure what NVM is but I answered that question. These are SMAs and the investor opens an account in their name or entity. You can sue the manager, which I expect the investors will, but arbitration will take time and you have to show they breached their docs.

#13     Nov 21, 2018
  4. Overnight

Overnight

NVM in Internet parlance = Never Mind. This is why we (Well, I really) call you OMM. Old Man Morse. You are like so old. :) Happy T-day Mr. Morse!

#14     Nov 21, 2018
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  5. userque

userque

From their (a.k.a. Optionsellers) December 15, 2010 Disclosures. First page; third paragraph (emphasis added):
    www.scribd.com/document/141965374/Liberty-Trading-Disclosure-Document-2010

"...IF YOU PURCHASE OR SELL A COMMODITY FUTURES CONTRACT OR SELL A COMMODITY OPTION OR ENGAGE IN OFF-EXCHANGE FOREIGN CURRENCY TRADING YOU MAY SUSTAIN A TOTAL LOSS OF THE INITIAL MARGIN FUNDS OR SECURITY DEPOSIT AND ANY ADDITIONAL FUNDS THAT YOU DEPOSIT WITH YOUR BROKER TO ESTABLISH OR MAINTAIN YOUR POSITION. IF THE MARKET MOVES AGAINST YOUR POSITION, YOU MAY BE CALLED UPON BY YOUR BROKER TO DEPOSIT A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF ADDITIONAL MARGIN FUNDS, ON SHORT NOTICE, IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN YOUR POSITION. IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE THE REQUESTED FUNDS WITHIN THE PRESCRIBED TIME, YOUR POSITION MAY BE LIQUIDATED AT A LOSS, AND YOU WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY RESULTING DEFICIT IN YOUR ACCOUNT. ..."

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    #15     Nov 21, 2018
  6. JSOP

JSOP

If they use margin. If they do not use margin, the clients would only lose up to 100% of their investment, whatever they put in. It's only when they borrow via margin to invest more than what they deposited that when there was a tremendous loss where the entire position value is lost, that's when the clients can lose more than what they put in because they now owe the broker for the money that the broker lent to them via margin.

If you want to make sure you don't lose more than you have deposited, just instruct your CTA to invest in a cash-only account or instruct the CTA and the broker to never use margin whatsoever.

#16     Nov 21, 2018
  7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Your comments are not accurate. There are no cash accounts or margin accounts with futures. Your put up a small value of the notion value of the forward contract for Risk. Futures accounts are highly levered but there is no borrowing.

#17     Nov 21, 2018
    Overnight likes this.
  8. JSOP

JSOP

And according to NFA/CFTC, all CTA and FCM are required to disclose on all their publications that investing in derivatives carry extremely amount of risk and may not be suitable for all investors and you can lose more than your investment. And also past performance is not indicative of future performances. I am sure that those clients are presented these disclosures (if they are not then optionsellers.com and Cordier are in major violation of disclosure requirement by the NFA/CFTC here) but Cordier could've dismissed them as "standard disclaimers" like those ones that we see on our movie theatre ticket stubs (Enter at your own risk) and plus Cordier reassured them that they are "very safe investment" and he's very experienced he knows what he's doing and blah blah blah.

#18     Nov 21, 2018
    PJB1994 likes this.
  9. JSOP

JSOP

Well he was investing in options, not in futures. That's different. I think options on futures are structured like options on stocks, no?

#19     Nov 21, 2018
  10. JSOP

JSOP

Well according to this article by Bloomberg, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-hedge-fund-promoted-selling-of-naked-options, it was FC Stone who borrowed on margin against the clients' funds to cover so the clients were not specifically "called upon by your broker" to deposit a substantial amount of additional margin funds to maintain the position. Looks like once FC Stone just put in funds themselves into the account and then now put it on the tab for the clients to repay. From this disclosure, the clients were supposed to be called lot earlier to put in additional funds to maintain the position and if the clients at that point decided not to maintain the position, then they would've been auto-liquidated and they might have avoided the debit balance.

Just my take. I stand to be corrected.

#20     Nov 21, 2018
    PJB1994 likes this.