What should I trade???

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by rateesquad, Apr 19, 2006.

What do you like to trade?

1. Equities (stocks, ETF's)

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Options and futures Options

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Futures

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  4. Bonds

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. #21     Apr 21, 2006
  2. 30% a quarter is a good beginner performance for position trading stocks.

By spending the time you have in the way you have to build a track record, it is natural to explore other areas of the markets.

At this point, it means that you have the trading cycle down and you now know how to run a list of possible stocks to own.

Try to keep the whole picture in mind as you explore.

Trading isn't the main event but it does assure that you will have all the capital you will need or desire in your life. Once a person gets to understand, as you do, how much money can be taken out of the market, then they have the opportunity to make comarisons based upon personal performance.

Congrats on the scholarship; it will be a nice stepping stone for the main event you settle upon.

#22     Apr 21, 2006
  3. i'll add my 2cents, although i am admittedly not a futures trader. from what i understand, futures trading is extremely risky. while i, like you, wouldn't mind learning more about it, to trade it without being expert would be foolish, in my estimation.

options are a good way of risking less capital and making better gains. they are more difficult to trade well than straight equities and the learning curve should be overcome before going in full tilt. i understand you are already doing well with equities, so options would be a next logical step. doing well with these can net you large gains as well, without the added risk of futures. that said, nothing wrong with learning as much as possible and doing paper trades to test your hand once you feel you have learned what is needed to succeed.

#23     Apr 23, 2006
  4. I agree with johhny walker in that you should be long the metals. To continue along that theme, go long gamma in the metals.

By call ratio spreading, you are long, and it's much cheaper. sell a lower strike call, and buy 2 calls at a higher strike price six or 8 months out in time.

It'll be cheaper than buying a call option outright, and you'll have much less downside risk than being long futures contracts. The only way you'll lose is if this is the top of the bull market.

#24     Apr 23, 2006