what should I do having a good track record?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by DT-waw, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sle

sle

10 month is definitely insufficient for any reasonable analysis. Have you done back testing, in-sample/out-of-sample? what sharpe do you produce? what sortino? what is your correlation to the market you are trading? What is your worst projected drawdown? etc, etc.

oh, yes, and most important question - how much of YOUR OWN capital are you trading?

#21     Mar 21, 2011
  2. There is one question which no one seems to have asked and possibly one of the most important : how many trades have you done in the 10 months?

see its absolutely useless to have a 3 year track record if it only consistes of 3 trades (one a year) on the other hand if in the 10 months he did above 1000 trades it would warrant some attention, but i my self would not consider anything less than 2 years before committing anything.

#22     Mar 21, 2011
  3. lazar206

lazar206

#23     Mar 21, 2011
  4. DT-waw

DT-waw

Thanks for your reply, Ghost.
    I agree that 10 months is short. However it was a difficult period for many other managers. Also it combines with much longer backtesting period (10 years).

But i do not want to emphasis backtesting since for ALL investors (and 98% of traders) its worthless or even worth below zero.

So i've produced 60% return on systems which were only backtested, which should be a miracle for most people, i don't care.
    The sharpe ratio (10yrs) is over 3.5. The number of real trades during these 10 months exceeds 500. I trade multiple strategies, each makes 10-15 trades/month.

I realize that even with 10 years track record on $10 million it would be still difficult to bring investors, since most of them prefer to invest in firms 100 years old who produce negative results...
    I understand that investors are extremely suspicious -there are too many scams and managers who are taking huge risks for little gains.

#24     Mar 22, 2011
  5. Length of time is irrelevant.
    This guy is not looking to be one of those HF guys who is trying to increase his AUM and beat his "benchmark" to collect his 2+20.
    A day trader who makes 10 long/short trades a day for ten months can provide a much better picture of performance then a swing trader who trades a few times a month for 5 years.
    OP, your numbers don't make sense. Multiple strategies, 10-15 trades per month on eachX10 months should yield more then 500 trades.
    In any event, maybe I can help if it is all futures.
    Provide more info regarding hold time, trade frequency, etc.
    PM me if you prefer.

#25     Mar 22, 2011
  6. Butterball

Butterball

Use the power of word of mouth. Try to get friends and family to invest first. Give them favorable terms (very low fees).

If you double or triple their capital over a coupe of years they will spread the word and new money will come in. Your primary driver for growing your assets under management in this start-up phase should be capital gains, not fund inflows.

#26     Mar 22, 2011