what should I do having a good track record?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by DT-waw, Mar 21, 2011.

1. I agree. I never really understand the rush to start trading others money. I mean, why not just build up you account to some nice looking numbers. You seem like you know how to trade. No rush, keep doing what your doing. Im sure when you do that, you will have people begging you to trade for them.

#11     Mar 21, 2011
  2. OP,
    Take your Series-3, become a futures broker, begin soliciting clients. You'll build relationships with people you could eventually help.

Don't let others' negativity discourage you. But you're not going to make it working from home outside the major financial centers (NY, Chicago, London).

If you're serious about this you should relocate and join the rest of hte investment mgt. community.

Also, 10-months is not long, but you're off to a good start.

Good luck to you.

--Chicago CTA

#12     Mar 21, 2011
  3. I agree. I never really understand the rush to start trading others money. I mean, why not just build up you account to some nice looking numbers. You seem like you know how to trade. No rush, keep doing what your doing. Im sure when you do that, you will have people begging you to trade for them.

#13     Mar 21, 2011
  4. I agree. I never really understand the rush to start trading others money. I mean, why not just build up you account to some nice looking numbers. You seem like you know how to trade. No rush, keep doing what your doing. Im sure when you do that, you will have people begging you to trade for them.

#14     Mar 21, 2011
  5. DT-waw

DT-waw

Thanks Chicago. I was told that Luxembourg domiciled Specialized Investment Fund is a vehicle which gives much more options, prestige, etc. vs CTA. Especially considering the fact that i'm based in Europe.

In my country any american CTA has no better reputation than B. Madoff, just because most people don't have a clue.

Luxembourg fund... now thats different. The account i trade does not belong to me. It costs about $100,000 to establish a SIF.

Private equity firms are also not interested. Selling signals for a fixed monthly fee- doesn't work, no subscribers regardless of performance.

I guess the only way is to team up with one, sane UHNWI....

#15     Mar 21, 2011
  6. The problem isn't investors, it's your account size, track record, and attitude. Firstly, you are trading on a tiny amount of capital, so your % returns are almost irrelevant. Making 60% on a 5 figure sum doesn't show you can make the same returns managing millions. Also, it's much easier to make big % returns on small capital - your account returns are just not that special, it's common for people to run 4 or 5 figure sums up by *hundreds* or even thousands of percent in one year, not just double digits. You just don't stand out.

Second, your track record is under a year, so again it's just noise. Try at least 3 years, and ideally a full market cycle of bull peak to bull peak, or bear trough to bear trough. Normally that's 5 years or so. No sane investor will rely on a mere 10 month returns.

Finally, the fact that you conclude that investors are 'insane' because they wisely don't place much value on your results so far, shows that you have a seriously unprofessional attitude to the business, and don't really understand it. You come across as quite immature and emotional, getting frustrated because other people won't give you large sums of their hard-earned money on the flimsiest of evidence.

So, my recommendation is keep trading. If after 3 years you have good returns, setup an incubator fund and get an audit. After 5 years if it's still going good, then start raising money.

#16     Mar 21, 2011
  7. if this is your answer to my question you should probably re-read the question.

#17     Mar 21, 2011
  8. 1) How much could you raise from your FaceBook friends? :confused:
    2) They're more likely to be sympathetic to you at this "stage of the game". :cool:

#18     Mar 21, 2011
  9. heech

heech

10 month track record is way, way too short. Waiting for 3 years is not an arbitrary requirement. It's a basic threshold, IMO, for separating the lucky from the good.

I'm much more likely to invest in a fund returning 10% a year for the last 10 years, than on your 10-month record.

#19     Mar 21, 2011
  10. Just an idea....

Find a few people interested in trading your strategies that would give you a percentage of their profits. Make sure you have non disclosure and all the appropriate contracts in place to protect your interests.

Not sure many would engage in that with only 10 months track record. I would at least want to see how the strats performed during bull and bear markets. Then again, if you have a well diversified futures portfolio 10 months may be good enough for some.

#20     Mar 21, 2011